Sea Deck in a196

slow

• Baller
I haven't done it but I've read some threads on this subject. Seems the biggest drawback is that the boats with OEM carpet don't have a smooth gelcoat under the carpet. It's a rough uncolored fiberglass as the inside of the hull was never intended to be visible. So unless you completely cover the inside with Sea Deck, the gaps between the pads will look pretty poor. Not an insurmountable problem, but a lot of work to get the hull looking good before laying down the Sea Deck.

• Baller
I've seen lots of old DD's go this route. You'll need to sand off any glue residue from the floor after carpet removal, and then paint the floor with truck bed liner or similar, as the Seadek needs a smooth, clean surface to stick to. Removable floor panels usually end up being the trickiest, as you'll often need to shim them and add some material for width since the carpet usually wraps the panel. Without mods, the panel(s) will sit low and loose after carpet removal.

• Baller

I've had boats with carpet, Sea Deck, and deckadence. Sea Deck would be my last choice....

If I were ordering a new boat, and had the option. I would order it with snap in carpets for resale reasons. Nothing looks and feels nicer IMO that nice new carpet. But I'd store the carpet and buy and install Deckadence myself for daily use. I've bought cut and installed Deckadence in two boats now and it's really a piece of cake.

• Baller
Yes, that's exactly what I did. I used the existing carpets as a pattern. On some of the smaller pieces I added SS snaps so they wouldn't move around. Larger pieces will tend to stay put on their own. Not that it's much work to put snaps on everything.

• Baller
@pinelakerider @aupatking It would have to be done/cut by a professional to have that fit and logos cut in the EVA material. Who has the patterns? Who has a machine that can handle that job? Looks great. We have a '98 that will need new flooring soon.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I redid the floor of my Malibu this past spring and looked into the SeaDeck route. As with any of the older boats, floor prep was going to be a nightmare. Instead, I glassed and leveled the low spots in my floor, painted it with gray grippy paint, then laid down the faux deckadence from American Floormats. It turned out really well. Someone a bit more crafty than I am would have done an even better job. It does get hot, but my boat is almost never out in the high noon sun. We mostly ski mornings.