Does anyone have a pylon video setup that doesn't skip frames during the wake crossing ?

swbca

• Baller_

I have been using the ORBIT pylon mount with the main back camera on a Galaxy S6. This setup is very good for observing skiing but it skips frames during the wake crossings. I though this was caused by the phone being unable to handle the high speed panning of the background during wake crossing. But then I noticed in some videos that @Horton posted, the wake crossings skipped frames more frequently panning left-to-right than right-to-left. That made me wonder if its the ORBIT not rotating smoothly or is it the phone's camera. The rope is obviously tight during the wake crossing so the phone isn't getting jerked around by the skier catching slack like it is at the completion of turns.

Has anyone figured this out, by using a high speed camera ? The problem with this question . . this is a "problem" that almost nobody notices unless they are looking for it. The videos are fine for analyzing your skiing, but nothing like the hand held cameras used in the record capable tournaments.

I am sure the GoPro cameras are faster, but can the Wakeye app zoom a GoPro ? Many skier's feel the GoPro wide angle lens is not suitable for this use.

• Baller
GoPro Hero 9 plus Ski Doc. Does not skip any frames. Max zoom is 2x, but it is digital zoom, not optical, so resolution declines. Zoom is also limited by the skier skiing out of frame at apex due to mechanical lag of the rope directed mount following the skier, so 2x is not suitable in most cases and a lesser zoom ratio must be used.

• Baller_

@Horton This is a good example, though I see you posted it 8 years ago. The frames are skipping on wake crossings starting at the 0:50 second time stamp.

It plays back the same the 0:50 time stamp on my iPad and my computer, so its not a client video problem.

Maybe "frames skipping" isn't the right word, but the mp4 compression sometimes can't keep up when the background is panning too fast.

• Administrators
IDK That was shot with a $h*tty old Sony camera. I don't see the "thing" but if it exists you're not going to see that problem with current cameras.

• Baller_

@Horton above . . . Did you mean current cameras, or current phones ? Have you used camera setups (not phone) that would be practical for practice boat that would provide better production quality than a phone ? Or have you found a phone that you would used for making a slalom video for your profession skiing ventures ?

My old Samsung S6 phone is great for seeing how crappy I ski, but I would like to find a way to get a better quality video. My newer Galaxy worked with with stabilization turned off, but vibration still affected that phone more than my older phone and has a wider angle lens (skier smaller). I saw a video with a PIXEL-1 phone and it was as choppy on wake crossings as my old Galaxy.

It looks like GoPro cameras get a very "soft-focus" when you zoom to get away from the very wide angle.

Is there a small dedicated camera with an optical zoom and good video that works ? Then is the ORBIT mount compatible with the weight of a real camera when the rope snaps tight on short line ?

• Baller

There is no camera that will work perfect on an 'automated mount'. If you want video that has no skips, no focus issues, no shakes you'll need an observer holding a camera.

Some cameras will get very close to perfect, but they will never compare to a person holding a camera. Not to mention if you zoom in too far on a pylon tracker setup, you will miss the turns when the rope goes slack during shorter line lengths.

• Administrators

@swbca The current GoPros are amazing. if you're using amount like a Ski-Doc or a wake-up that is your best choice. The image quality is not fuzzy.

Handheld is always better. any modern smartphone is fantastic.