Latest prostar-worth the wait?

lefty

questions for all you prostar folks out there, esp the ones that have owned or extensively used /skied both the 14-20 and the latest version-

A-are there any cons to the new one other than cost and availability?

B-at what level of course skier would the better tracking be apparent

C-are there any pros to the previous version other than cost and availability

D-if you could assign a percentage increase in value to the new version what would it be, eg, the new boat is 10% better overall than the older one

Thanks-we re getting one or the other!

• Administrators

The 2014 - 2020 boats are great. I think it was 2019 that the 5.7 was phased out and the 6.0 became the standard base engine. ( If I got the year wrong somebody will correct me. ) Those boats are great & bulletproof. I would be happy to own one. The 2021 is simply more refined. It drives better. It's more comfortable. It's more ergonomic. It's just the next evolution. It's better in dozens of small ways.

If I were you I'd think about it this way... an older boat has already depreciated further and is now depreciating slower with years and hours. The newer boat is less maintenance fresher cleaner nicer.

What can you afford comfortably and what do you really want?

• Baller

The 2021+ is wayyy better for the driver and there are some other cool new features in the construction on other niceties as Horton mentioned... The change in drivability is welcomed by drivers of all levels but especially important for less experienced drivers.

My only dig is that the '21+ has an indented center cushion on the drivers seat that the '14-'20 did not have. (Yes, I'm being nit-picky).

As far as the history of the previous hull...

2015 - transmission was changed for the 5.7

2016 - cosmetic update: new gel pattern, interior pattern, and SeaDek pattern

2017 - move from silver to black on the dash billet and the observers glovebox lid changed / 6.2 engine changed to a direct fuel injected engine

2018 - cosmetic change of the ski pylon

2020 - 6L engine was standard instead of 5.7

• Baller_
I would buy the latest boat, if the budget can accommodate one. It is worth the wait. The driveability improvement is outstanding and the wake is every bit as good or better than the 2014-2020 model.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

A little more info on you and your ski crew's ability / level may help.

The tracking on the new one is surely better, but if you are 15-22 off skiers at 30-32 mph on a public lake, the tracking on the new one may not be as noticeable than if you start at -28 or -32 on the private lake and shorten from there.... (I'm really not qualified to say if -28 is the cutoff point, but I'd argue the logic applies).

I think the "21+ most noticeable items are inside / driver stuff. Bigger screen with more info easier to get to (radio, seat heat, etc), nice driver cubby spot for sunglasses and phones, awesome engine box, rear cupholders not on engine box (water bottles won't get hot), and lighter rear seats (if you are getting those) are some things I noticed.

Having said that 14-20 is still a great great great boat and will be for a long time.

Either choice is good, main factor may be what you want to spend and if you can find a 14-20 at a price you like with the options / colors you like.

• Baller
We absolutely love our ‘20, but if the ‘21 comes with the driver’s seat recliner lever on the right side of the seat where it’s completely out of the way, instead of sticking out on the left where it protrudes into an already narrow step through space and lies in wait for unsuspecting ankle bones, I’d order the new one in a heart beat! I’ve cracked my ankle painfully on this torture device more times than I can count. I’m not suggesting that whoever decided that was the best side of the seat to put this lever should be drawn and quartered. That might be somewhat excessive. But I’d love to know the thought process for not putting it on the right, accessible yet completely out of harm’s way. Seriously though, it is the one and only thing we don’t love about this fantastic boat!

• Baller
I have driven and skied 2014 to 2021. 2014 was slow if on a short site. 2015 got an updated transmission that solved that. The 2021 is the best ski boat that I've ever been in. We ski on a short lake. The 21 locks in almost a full boat length sooner which helps quite a bit with our short setup. The 21 has more grip and feel when driving it. The others tracked fine but did not provide as much feedback to the driver. They are all fantastic. With the price of the used boats being so high right now, getting a new one might be a better value if your intention is to keep it a long time.

• Baller
@Cnewbert , the very first time my nephew was in my boat he stepped on that lever and stripped it, @Broussard , if it was on the right side you wouldn't need to service it! I love my prostar but there's 1 or 2 things that are a teensy bit annoying.

• Baller

I own a 2019, once or twice a week ski/drive a 2021 and a 2018 Nautique.

Plus on 2021;

- The main standout is the traction, which is now close to or better than the Nautique and not even comparable to the 2019.

- Much, much quieter.

- Platform is lower to the water.

Neg, just details;

- Lost the cupholder and glove box in front of driver. Cupholder was great for cellphone holder (true course).

- LCD screen is bigger put layout is harder to read. Also would miss the old-style big gas gauge.

I can not feel any difference in the wake, but I'm slow and long line (30mph, 15off).

My warranty is up in 3 years, at which time I will change to a new model. For me the improvements are not worth the investment now. It takes more concentration to keep it in the course with short-line skiers, but we manage.

• Baller
@Broussard well, if that's the trade off, I'd take it 8 days a week. I've never owned a boat or any kind of vehicle with a mechanical recliner lever that ever broke, needed servicing or replacing. Maybe I'm just easy on these, but I haven't ever found them subject to failure. For the most part it's a set it and forget it adjustment. And 5 years from now, 10 years... whatever... if I had to remove the seat to fix it, it would be a small price to pay for the agony I avoided. My ankles would agree. ;-)

• Baller
Thanks everyone for their input. Sounds to me like it is worth the wait (2023 season )so that will likely be the route we go, leaning that way already. No plans to sell this boat so going to go for it. I think drivability and driver comfort are important as you generally spend more time in the boat than behind it. basically impossible to get into a new pstar and try one out, maybe a trip to Florida is in order.

• Baller

I agree with the above improvements and would add that the 2021 trick wake is a bit better. I think the better tracking makes it a bit easier to get wide and the pull feels slightly better to me.

They are all great but the 2021 is better in my opinion.

@RyanNason have you ever driven the Mastercraft? Thoughts?

• Baller

Can anyone shed any light on the progression of the gas gauge? I hear the issues have been fixed? Just in the new model, or in the older model post 2017? We trailer our boat and fill completely when needed, so our gauge is always accurate. However, I just loaned it to a ski school, and when the gas got below 1/4 tank they added about 8 gallons. This should have put the level at about 1/2, but the gauge went almost to full. It still baffles me the fuel sender method they put into a ski boat where the majority NEVER see a full tank, which it needs to re-calibrate.

And I'm not interested in the manual fuel management software fix.

• Administrators
@ScottScott I use the fuel management system and it works perfect. it does mean that you are prompted with the question "did you add fuel" every time you power up the boat but you always know exactly how much fuel you have.

• Baller

@ScottScott, like @Horton I use the fuel management system and am extremely pleased with the accuracy. I think it's actually a great solution for the scenario of people adding 5 gallons at a time.

I've also owned a Nautique 200 personally and I currently have partial ownership of a 200 at the ski club. I have a 2019 ProStar at my Lake House. I'd rather have the fuel level monitoring system on the ProStar. Yes, if you only look at the gauge, then you'll probably prefer the Nautique. If you learn how to use the Fuel Mgmt system on the ProStar, which includes looking at the fuel mgmt info and not just the gauge, you'll come to appreciate the value of that system.

• Baller
I have to chime in about the prostar gas gauge problem…it is amazing to me that such a fine ski boat as a mastercraft prostar has such a checkered past having a dependable and accurate way of knowing the fuel level. Every Prostar I have owned (since 91) has had a disfunctional gas gauge. My 2015 stopped working this year. Hopefully the new ones will break the cycle!

• Baller

Just had the fuel sender replaced on my 17. Gauge was stuck on full.

Even when it was working it would stay on full till approx. 1/3-3/8 of a tank left then move to empty very quickly. Would be nice to have this annoyance fixed.

Love the boat other than that. The wake and so many other things (racks, folding center seat, bow lid, roominess, etc) are outstanding. It does take a bit of concentration to keep straight in the course. Wife says we have to keep it for 5 years (purchased it used) so Oct 2023 it may be replaced with the new rendition.

• Baller

@Dacon62 I think your situation was just a malfunctioning sender, sounds like you got it replaced so hopefully its back to "normal."

The problem with these senders is that they measure capacitance. Capacitance will vary based on ethanol content. Every can of gas can vary with ethanol content. With a full tank it will re-calibrate to the gas in the tank. As soon as you add gas but don't fill up, the gauge is off and it can be WAY off....and it will stay way off until you fill the tank. The only way for this system to work is to fill to full EVERY TIME. NOT practical in a boat that lives on a lake, filled with 5 gallon cans. I find it ridiculous that they went to this management software instead of changing the sender type.

• Baller
I’m a big fan of the FMS as well. Ours is very accurate and matches the analog gauge quite closely. Since we ski on a public lake and I know from experience we’ll burn 0.7 gallons getting back to the ramp from the far shore, we can ski with confidence even when running low on fuel as we know at any time exactly how much is left the tank and how much we need to make it back.

• Baller

I sold my 2015 Mastercraft in mid July and took delivery of the '21 in September. The 2015 served me royally but the '21 really shines. I ordered it in August of '20 and my friend used it as a promo boat for the '21 season. Got a great deal and it had 50 hours on it at delivery. Every time we use it, my friends jump in and I never get to drive it! It tracks better, it feels more solid, the driver's seat is heaven, the user friendly screen is terrific! It was worth the wait! In reading earlier posts, I haven't figured out the gas management system....I just lift up the back panel and look/see how much gas is in the tank! Kind of reminds me of Chris Craft days when we kept a yard stick on board and measure by wet marks on the stick! Incidentally, I've owned all 3 major makes over the years and this one is the best!kxu4nmy4sv2c.jpg

• Baller

@OldGuysRule You can see the fuel level by lifting the rear hatch above the rudder? Can’t see the level on mine. Plastic is too thick or colored enough that the level is not viewable.

They must of changed the plastic compound to make it more opaque or see through. Nice. That works every time.

Nice boat! Was playing around on the boat builder and I just happened to make a similar color scheme.

• Baller

Dealer estimates Feb or March and said that was probably the last ProStar they would get. They had 4 production slots for ProStars and ours was the third one and they would probably lose their fourth to another dealership.

t1twdfxqlovo.jpeg

• Baller
Since my 1989 Supra (which at the time was a spectacular boat and my all time favorite) I have had two Nautiques, a Malibu, & 3 Mastercrafts. I bought a 21 Prostar (number 4) and we love it! Best of the bunch even over the fond memories of the Supra. Everything about this 21 is well designed. Get one on order.

• Baller

Here is the interior. We will probably change it up some. We when looking at the boats in person the white vinyl looked kind of “yellowish” up against the pure white of the gel coat so we went with light grey but it looks kind of dull. So may go back to white with light blue trim.

dxgtvkcwtl5i.jpeg