Dane Mechler 43off

APB

• Baller_

As far as books go, I think one is being written here. Pretty sure some other guy ran 41 at the Worlds but there’s no thread on how his Worlds 41 went down (he set a Worlds Championship record). Point being, if Dane had run it in the elimination round or finals, this book would be a lot shorter ...as advertisers say..there’s no such thing as bad publicity. He will forever be remembered for this for the sake of it being outside the norm. Similar to TGas. I for one hope the discussion continues, people start to know him like other well knowns and he gets some more sponsors out of this...please carry on. ?

@lpskier secret hand shake ...?

And I’ll remind everyone that the mandate is that 33-1/3% of the committees dealing with competition and the board are elite athletes. Meaning they have a SIGNIFICANT voice and a LOT of leverage to make changes or adjustments THEY feel are warranted. If they want a run off score to be eligible to count as a record, the athletes have the leverage to make that happen.

• Baller

@Skoot1123 , it would count kinda like Nate's 3@43 did in a class C: impressive, valid, noted, sweet... but not a world record.

With surepath, etc, I can see where people think it should count-count, but the main reason, as @Bruce_Butterfield stated, is it's a "2nd try" for those athletes only and most view that as not fair (improving on their official round score).

• Baller

I don't understand the don't have to go through the standard rope lengths argument. Most of these guys skipped 3 of the standard rope lenghts in the same tournament, as the sport progresses we'll start to see people starting at '35 off. He ran 2 full passes, in any tournament that would exempt him from needing to post all of the earlier scores.

In terms of tournament scores post it however you want 2@41 + a 1st place in runoff, that's fine in terms of tournament ceding that is where he landed, that's the way the show which place he landed in.

If you were to start up a waterskidb website with all of all the scores all the skiers have posted, I'd think you'd have an option to sort the skiers by all time personal bests, and Dane's should show that he has ran 41.

• Baller

@Drago @Bruce_Butterfield

it's a "2nd try" for those athletes only and most view that as not fair

That argument makes theoretical sense, but in practice, I've never heard a pro skier even hint at it. What I do hear them say is how hard it is to run -39 off the dock, especially if its been an hour since they last skied.

(not arguing it should somehow count in the books; but don't think it needs to be robbed of its pride)

• Baller

@andjules , pretty sure Bruce and I find Dane's skiing verry Impressive. Just explaining the rule. If it were an R turn & burn (which don't exist). it would've been in the books and his world ranking would have gone up accordingly.

@slow Whatever