Have You Worn the Radar Boa Engineer Gloves?

MarkSAU

• Baller

Has anyone worn the Radar Boa Engineer glove for a few sets yet? I bought a pair this weekend and due to our lockdowns in Melbourne Australia had to buy online and get them delivered, but I am not impressed...yet..

They are incredibly tight, the fingers seem too small and too short and takes a lot of grip strength just to close my hand around the handle so will get very tiring very quickly. My hope is that once they have been wet and had a few runs that they will stretch a little and feel better so if anyone has worn them, can you give me some feedback?

Once I have pulled the tags off and got them wet I obviously cant take them back...and I don't want to throw a $160 pair of gloves in the bin. I have worn out my Radar 41-Tails (XL), so thought I would buy a nice pair of gloves for the start of our season. I found the Velcro on the straps seems to come loose and flap around and is very irritating so I liked the idea of the Boa Engineer which has no Velcro Strap. The Vapor Boa K was also on my list, as is another pair of 41-Tails so if I return these then I am back to Velcro straps but at least they may fit better.

According to the Radar size chart my hand is a Med - not sure what they were smoking when they did the size chart... Based on my last pair I ordered the XL which are the largest size but they are very tight and require a lot of effort get them on.

Keen to hear if anyone has worn the Boa Engineer gloves for a few sets and if they "wore in" ok?

Cheers

Mark

• Baller

I can’t help on the engineer gloves but I’m using older radar boa gloves, maybe 2018 or so, not sure what model.

Anyway, the boa thing is awesome. I had 2-3 pairs of 41 tails before and the fit around the middle Velcro was off and or wore out.

41 tail + boa would be a good glove, it doesn’t exist.

Anyway if you can’t get the engineer to work I’d try next model down that still has boa.

• Baller

I have a pair and the fit for me is fine. They fit right from the start and they didn't really stretch. They are light and less bulky than most other gloves with more panels and seams.

I also liked the idea of no velcro, but... I found that when you open the boa wide enough to get your hand in sometimes the wire slips out of the plastic piece that retains it. Not a problem like Velcro where it comes loose while you're skiing, but a pain when you have one glove on and the wire falls out on the other one before you get it tightened.0ittjlpsiz4p.jpg

• Administrators
I had some first generation ones and they were incredibly hard to get on until I got them wet and wore them once and then they were my all-time favorite gloves. They are designed to be super super snug

• Baller

@MDB1056 yea they are pricey but I am happy to pay for quality that lasts, my 41-tails did me well so happy to invest in good gear. Unfortunately I am too old for leery colours and cannot see myself in bright yellow Connelly Claw gloves even if I do ski a Connelly Carbon V...

Thanks @dchristman appreciate that, had not thought of the wire coming loose, and considering how hard they are to put on this is could be an issue.

• Baller

@Broussard , these are the '22 Blue/black versions.

@Horton thanks, good to hear they softened up when wet. Personally I like tight gloves so if they ease up once wet and "wear in" after a ski or 2 then maybe they will be ok.

• Baller
Gloves need to be wet to understand how they will actually fit and perform for you. Don't cut anything, just dump them in some clean water, grab a handle and then see what you think. If you think they are too small still let them dry out and go a size up. I can barely get my hands into my gloves when they are dry. I usually dunk them in the water before even trying to put them on.

• Baller

They have to be wet before you put them on. I get mine on as good as it gets. Then finish off by pushing a finger in between all fingers and pull once more to get them entirely up.

I was afraid that they should loose the fit after a while but they don’t. Best glove I have ever tried even though it’s a bit pricy. Even bought an extra pair since you never know what changes between different years. And they have apparently changed something for 2022 according to someone in this thread. So glad I have an extra pair of the old ones which fits me perfect.

Bought the first generation Vapor BOA liked them a lot. On the new Vapor the boa cord does something with my index finger knuckle causing a lot of pain for several days after a set.

Off topic: The second best glove ever tried was the HO clutch also kind of strange glove. Really liked that one.

• Baller
I love them as well. The only drawback for me is in cold water. I like to tuck my wetsuit sleeve into the glove, and these aren’t long enough and/or loose enough to do so. The velcro wrist strap of the vapor boa glove allows that no problem, so I use those in the sub 50° water.

• Baller
I've got a set that are at least three years old and I too absolutely love them. I'd prefer not to use any but since I have RA, I need the extra grip strength and support these gloves provide. The fact that they cinch down around my palm actually provides some relief to my hands when the RA is having a field day with them.The tractor grip handle I'm using isn't much of a a tractor grip anymore as these gloves have worn down the grip that it's almost a smooth handle now. Pricey but well worth the cost and my next pair will be BOA's.

• Baller

@Sethro ... Mate I am a keen skier and not scared of the cold but I am not brave enough for sub 50F water... I loved my Radar 41Tails gloves but trying to move away from Velcro straps, however if the Boa K gloves are a more relaxed fit I might be able to get my shovels into them.

@morfoot Glad to hear you love them - seems I may need to give them a go...as I need gloves to keep the skin on my hands.