C85 or Ho?

BTheis

• Baller
I’m going to get a new ski for next season and I’m curious on your thoughts. First a little insight, I currently ski on a Ho V type R and have been very happy with the ski. Last season I ran 22 @ 34 for the first time in about five years. Lots of physical issues separated shoulder, two new hips, complete torn bicep.

• Baller

My suggestion would be the C85. I have had several skiers try out the C85 over the last couple months at my lake. Most have bought one. Comments I have heard are: turns better than anything I have been on, faster than anything I have been on, easier to get up on, less effort - 8 passes felt like 4, more forgiving. I am pretty broken but did manage part of a 28 and 32 off pass and agree with the comments I have heard, my current ski is an Ion, which I absolutely love! I am buying one!

Skiers were coming off of Radar, Goode, and D3.

• Baller
Agree with these comments. I got on a C85 mid-summer and it is easier on the body even when getting pretty crazy angles. Another bonus is being able to stay in passes even when things aren't going perfectly. Overall an awesome ski.

• Baller
@DavidN I am very intrigued with Denali I met @adamhcaldwell before the Adam’s started their little company and was super impressed with his knowledge and willingness to share. As for HO I’ve always skied well on them.

• Baller_

If you alway do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.

I’m a big C85 fan, having just switched from a Radar Vapor that I absolutely loved. Turns great, really goes side to side and really scraps when you need it to. I’m hugely impressed with this ski.

Denali has a great try before you buy program. Contact Meg Deeley through the Denali website and she’ll get you set up for a demo.

Lpskier

• Baller_

if you are between two skis, the best option is to demo them, everyone skis different, which is why there are so many options. I do not know much about the 85, I do know both adams, so I am sure it is a great ski, just like I have known the guys at HO for a long time, and again a great ski. Just one will work better for you. I also do agree with @the_MS sometimes coaching is the way to go, but as someone who sells skis, give me a call if you go with the HO!

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

@BTheis You should listen to @mike_mapple , he certainly knows his stuff. Ideally you should take a trip to FL and demo both skis at one of the many great ski schools. Win/win! You get warm weather, good instruction, and find out for yourself which works better for you!

• Baller_

@CGSki Actually having gone into M7 this year, I’m skiing on it at 32. So it works great at 32, 34 and 36.

Nothing against HO. I’ve skied the Alpha and Omega and thought they were both great skis, but the C85 really wowwed me, if that’s a word…

Lpskier

• Baller
Coaching seems like great advice at this point. I once asked a neighbor and accomplished bicyclist for his thoughts when I was getting back into the sport. He advised me to use my old bike and ride for the foreseeable future. He said, “ I see a lot of riders with $5-10K bikes and 99 cent legs.”

• Baller
Im gonna throw this in for thought… if you are on a wide ski from HO the transition to a Denali could be difficult. The widths of the skis vary based on the weight of the skier. If you are on a wider ski from HO the Denali will feel very different. The C85 is my #1 ski in my quiver, its as fast as any, slows down easier, and turns cleaner (more forgiving when on the front) with poor posture, than any ski I’ve been on yet… however your dead if you get on the back of it! The Denali gave me a better Gas pedal and a better Break!

• Baller
So does buying a Porsche Turbo 911 automatically make you a better driver? Of course not. All your bad driving habits are simply carried forward. A well trained driver can get performance out of it you never could . Sure, buying a shiny new ski is fun….but even if you were to pick up a few buoys, it hasn’t somehow fixed all your issues. Learn to ski first, then apply those skills to a more refined weapon and you’ll get miles more performance out of it. What are you trying to be? A much better skier, or someone who just has a cool ski. Not trying to be mean here……. just real. If you were offered you a week with Corey Vaughn, or a new ski - which do you think would move the needle more?

• Baller
@BTheis - last year C75 was all the rage.You can pick up nice ones now on SIA for $500. Get some lessons and in a year you’ll be able to pick up a C85 for $500, plus you’ll be a much better skier. Cost wise you’ll be neutral with what a new C85 would cost you now.

• Baller

@lpskier If you could afford the 911, then you should be able to afford the driving lesson. You wouldn't want to wrap that thing around a tree, would you?

@BTheis Same advice, get the shinny new ski (either one) and spend some money on lessons. Everyone on this site could use some coaching (especially me).