Video of top boat driving?

CGSki

• Baller

In my quest to become the best boat driver I can be, I’m wondering if there is video out there if top boat drivers from their perspective? I’m curious to compare their inputs to what I feel I am doing. I haven’t been able find this in my searches.

Thanks.

• Baller

Personally, I think that as a Driver you develop over time, it's more about feel, obviously there is useful information and tips that can help, even when not in the course, where you position the boat and how you approach the the course, is just as important, throttle control, feeding that throttle in, so that Zero Off engages smoothly, before you nudge the throttle forward so zero off has full control.

Small things, but they make life easier for the skier, if you position the boat, so the skier is on the left before you go, this means they do not have to move across the wake to setup, a good thing if the lake is short, when they drop in, give them a little bit of slack line, so that they can relax in the water and gather their thoughts.

@Jody_Seal as you know Sure Path has been used in the Southern Region for more than a year. I’d say few have had complaints and the scores have been incredibly high.

The recently completed Worlds (Open, U17 & U21), Malibu Open, etc. all had consistently high scores. Two skiers running 41 this year for the first time ever. Several PBs in men’s and women’s open. All that suggests there are fewer “freight trains” on the rails.

Back to the original topic……

• Baller
My 13 year old learned to drive this year. He thought he was straight down the middle on every pass until we got sure-path hooked up and it was a real eye opener for him. A few weeks later he was, in fact, driving down the middle, and working on his connection with the skier. I can't say enough good things about Surepath as a training tool.

• Administrators

@CGSki I have asked a number of elite drivers for video instruction or something similar like you're talking about and it just doesn't exist.

I do highly recommend either of the BPMS systems. ( sure path or ski path ) Either of these systems will help tremendously to teach you where center is. Beyond that you just need enough seat time to be able to feel the skier.

• Baller

Time in the driver seat is the best way to get experience. You can watch all the video’s you want but until you feel the skier load the boat and feel how much movement is necessary to dance with the skier down the course only comes from time in the driver’s seat. And lots of it.

• Administrators
omg that video will never go away.... skier is a dad whose young son is driving. apparently the son panicked because he was running over the buoys and slammed the boat into reverse. this happened in Idaho.

• Baller
Simpler? I remember when it was just two of us back in the day having to watch the rpms, give throttle at hopefully the right time, and operating a stop watch, all while trying to keep it somewhere near the middle of the course and get it in time tolerance. That was a lot to juggle.

• Baller_

Here's a couple real good suggestions.

If you want to be accepted, anointed and put into the bigshow as a driver you can't get their watching YouTube.

Second you have to go drive where the best skiers of the land are skiing,. practice with them and listen to feedback. Ski school and collegeiant are great places to get experience. If you show skills and a willingness to put a shirt on with a target in the back then you will be asked to drive the bigshows..

@klindy

As far as the shure path is concerned I am finding that we have many drivers trying desperately to drive and get as close to zeros as they can.

Add in a ill or sub driving boat with 450 hp a hull that wants to dodge and hunt, sway and rock.

Feedback from skiers " freight train" "weird " and "not sure" , just sharing dock talk from over the summer.

Not to mention the down time and complete failure of the system operations and or connectivity.

We should be glad that this tool is being used as information gathering only.

I use the word tool or a drivers aid as again talk on the dock is how really accurate is it and what is the error #? Seeing many different creative mounts with the system also some of these are flopping in the wind and mounted sidewayseven odd clocking, sideways . What is the error there?

Goes back to that shirt with the target! Do you still want to drive the show or just be adequate for your ski buddy? Either you can't get from video.