Yet another Prostar vs 200 vs Response (but focused on storage)

kirkbauer

• Baller

Background: I'm going to be buying my first boat in many years. I'm a skier, and that's the primary goal, but I'm also trying to find one boat that will meet some family needs as well. For the foreseeable future, we only have storage space for one boat. My wife wants something newer (<5yr old) that will work for the kids too. Right now they are only interesting in tubing but I hope I can get them interested in more. Long story short, I'm tired of skiing behind a non-ski boat, so I'm considering a Prostar, or an open-bow 200, or an open-bow Response (if there are any brands I missed that are <5yr old please let me know). In all cases I'm planning on getting a wake tower for non-ski activities. I'm OK that there won't be great wakes for wakeboarding, but my kids could still learn to wakeboard.

The challenge is that there aren't many videos online about these boats, and I'm not finding any way to go see any in the Atlanta area. So I'm either going to have to fly out to buy a used one, or order a new one. But I need one before next summer, to it seems so far that perhaps the Mastercraft lead time is too high, so that might not be an option for a new one. So I'd like to narrow the list down before I go out of my way to go see a few in person.

I'm concerned mostly about storage. The Ski Nautique, as well as older 200s, have those side storage compartments for skis. But the newer 200s only seem to have ski storage behind the passenger-side seat. That seems a bit annoying as the primary ski storage area. I'm also not seeing a lot of other storage areas, although it is hard to tell. Is there storage under the rear ledge/seats, perhaps for gloves and ropes? What about under the open-bow seats? Where do you store all of your required life vests?

The Prostar has those ski clips along the inner side walls which seem very convenient. There are also two compartments right by the rear ski platform. Those seem perfect for ropes and gloves. But is there also storage behind the passenger seat like on the 200? Where do you store all of your life vests?

The Malibu has two rear storage compartments, but no ski storage brackets, and I'm unclear about the behind-the-passenger-seat storage. Again, I'm just not sure where you store all of the extra stuff like life jackets.

Ultimately, we really like the appearance of the SN200, and possibly the availability, but it seems it might have the least storage out of three boats that all seem pretty lacking on storage. I'm just looking to store say 3 skis, emergency life jackets, a couple of ski ropes, some gloves, a few towels, and perhaps some drinks or snacks. Oh... and an anchor. Do any of these have anchor storage perhaps in the very front?

• Baller

There's not a lot of storage room in the Prostars but the ski racks are awesome. I use the rear lockers for binding slime, and Hot Sauce / Detailing products. Getting a rope/handle in there would be possible but "ropes" may not fit.

There's no worthwhile storage under the bow seats but there's a decent amount of room under the observer's seat for a handful of lifejackets.

This doesn't fit the "less than 5 years old" requirement but a Prostar 214 or similar may fit the ticket better.

• Baller
I am just throwing this out there to consider, but as the kids get older, the open bow will become useless at a certain point, IMO. When my boy hit double digits we pretty much stopped using the open bow on our last 200 (it was great when he was little and when he had little cousins). Now, we have a new model SN with the closed bow. The storage under the closed bow in the new SN is awesome. It also has trick ballast, which makes a pretty impressive trick/wakeboard wake when it is needed.

• Baller_
The TXI, not sure on exactly which years, has a dual wall side construction which probably reduces the gunnel storage area so verify that as you ponder that option. 2016 and earlier TXI models had the rear storage locker. Friends SN 200 with the side lockers does a nice job of storing ski's and gear.

• Baller

I’m with @jjackkrash here, open bow is kind of useless (some would say even dangerous depending on the conditions you are boating in) and only limits your storage capacity.

Get a pre 2019 SN200 closed bow with the saddle bags. The under bow storage area is huge. You could camp out in there! Best place to stow heavier and bulky equipment like your anchor and the mandatory life vests/throw cushions.

The saddle bags hold plenty of stuff, we jokingly call them his and hers ski locker. My whole gear fits into one side, the other is filled with my wife’s equipment. And I mean all of it! Handle, rope, vest, boot, liner, gloves, ski, towel.

There’s a small, floor mounted storage cubby in the rear, but that’s quite useless, only holds smaller items like a soap bottle or a pair or two of gloves and serves more as a step to enter the platform. Still nice to have.

No in-floor storage either, the one under the passenger seat is occupied with the battery.

• Baller
I am able to store quite a bit of useful things under the passenger seat of our '20 Prostar. 4 CGA life jackets (we ski on a public lake), two boat fenders, 4 docking lines, an anchor and anchor rope, a tool kit, an oil funnel and oil filter wrench, extra gloves, an extra tow rope and handle, mask, fins, snorkel and weight belt (for course buoy maintenance), a roll of paper towels, wet suit booties, a boat hook, the plexiglass air dam that slides in the walk through that I've never used (or whatever it's called), the Bimini supports and Bimini cover, fire extinguisher... what else... I'd have to go look, but there is still room to spare. We have the heater, and that takes up some under seat space. Without that there would even be more room. But if the boat has the MTS ballast system it will greatly reduce this under seat storage capacity. There's also a small under-deck storage bin in front of the doghouse where I keep 2 qts of oil. Since, like many, we never use our boat in an open bow configuration, there's ample space in the bow for all kinds of things. But if using it the open bow configuration in protected water, that space would obviously be lost. The port and starboard ski racks are awesome and leave the interior space of the Prostar more generous than the competing models.

• Baller
TXi is available with ski racks on both sides actually, but as for storage, none of these newer boats hold as much as their older counterparts with side gunnel storage/netting, actual trunks, etc. I agree with @jjackkrash on the closed bow for storage actually. The only thing I like about my open bow is it's easier to move weight around when I want to (with boat on trailer). Without a spotter, I have an 80 lb sand bag that goes in the bow on the observer side as part of my counterweighting setup. That comes out if running a 3 man crew.

• Baller
In the last 5 years or so, boat models have drastically diverged into even more specialization. Nobody really makes the boat you're looking for anymore. All the dedicated ski boats are really too small, with low free boards, and very little storage. The rest of the boat models have specialized too much on wake surfing. I've owned and used the older 200 with the side storage lockers as well as a 2019 ProStar on larger lakes. For the most part, what people have said here is my experience as well. The bow on both of those boats is too small and takes on water too easily to be very good general purpose boat. Historically, the Malibu ski boats have had higher free boards and been better outside the domain of dedicated ski lakes, but I'm simply not familiar enough to give much direct feedback on the newer Malibu's.

• Baller
The comments on the open bow were a bit of a surprise to me. Is this a problem with all three boats? Is it a matter of not being enough space, or is it all about water coming over the bow? I was hoping it could be a good spot for two or three younger children, which it seems it could work for. I'm not sure how worried I am about taking on water; although I'm not on a dedicated ski lake, I'll be on more or less a private very long cove. So I'm expecting very little waves, other than my own wakes. Now, I might go other places on the lake from time to time, so it would be nice to not be super worried about that.

• Baller
If you are willing to look for awhile you can find low hour older boats that could work really well for you. I have a 2010 open bow Response LXI that I love. It has more free board than other brands and models, it has a rear storage locker, some storage in the sides, and we actually use the open bow even for adults. It skis really well and has a wedge so you can wakeboard and surf. They had a similar design in the TXI up until 2017 when the changed hulls.

• Baller
I’ve got a 2019 200. No storage to speak of except under the observers seat. I chose this year for more floor space w/o the ski lockers. We deploy a portable course every week and the extra space is nice. But… if you want storage this ain’t the boat.

• Baller

I was dead set on an open bow prostar or 200. Looked at used boat in person and decide on a 2012 200 closed bow. Tons of storage in the bow and the side saddles. I think the passenger area is slightly larger on the closed bow.

One option is a prostar with the fiberglass bow cover, it would give lots of space to store items, just not sure on hard it is to remove to access gear.

• Baller

Prostar bow cover hinges up easily to gain access if needed, but with seats up there, there still isn't tons of room. Life jackets,ropes maybe. You aren't going to fit a kneeboard or skis.

I'll be honest, on public water with surf boats around, the open bow is essentially useless and/or dangerous. Even with nothing up there, it sits so low that you have to throttle over waves and rollers to avoid diving in. Once or twice I've had water halfway up the bow cover, and without the cover, there would have been a lot of water in the boat.

I used the open bow as a bargaining tool for a new boat, but have used it once, and probably wont use it again. 3-4 adults and 3-4 kids fit in the boat just fine with back seats and no open bow.

• Baller
I have a 200 closed bow with the side saddles. Tons of storage if I needed it. Two adults could camp under the bow and we can fit four slalom skis plus gear in the side saddles. A cooler can sit behind the driver. If you plan on putting wet gear in the side saddles (we don’t), buy Lysol. The observers seat is huge, plenty of space.

• Baller

Actually I think a knee board would fit just fine in the bow of a prostar. The way the bow cover lifts up and hinges from the front, its pretty accessible for storage. If you're getting a tower, you'll have lots of options for tower brackets for wakeboards, knee boards, and skies. Lots of storage under the observer seat. The side ski brackets are great for getting skies off the floor and with the width of the boat there is still lots of floor space to get around. Lots of storage under the observers seats. We boat on public lakes and keep a handful of life vests up front. Under floor we keep an anchor, and the transom compartments are great for gloves, dock lines, and other small items. I like the design of the rear seats on the newer boats, but the older design has room under the seats you can slide ropes with handles. The convertible closed bow/open bow was a big reason we went for the prostar. Like others, we have rarely used the open bow, but its nice to have that option and it is more usable storage than with the closed bow. (the front seat cushions are removable to allow more storage when closed bow also.)

Like any ski boat, you'll want to be careful to keep bow up when you run into rollers, but that hasn't been a problem for us at cruising speed. Biggest issue is at slow speeds, other boat rollers while approaching or taking off from no-wake areas, or turning back into your own rollers to pick up a slower speed skier/wake boarder etc...

• Baller

@kirkbauer - if you were in the Boston area I could arrange for you to come see my 2018 SN 200 closed bow and my friends 2018 MC Prostar. Granted both are winterized, but you could still get in them.

Maybe a few local BOS folks close to you would consider letting you come over for a visit. Atlanta is your home base?

Side note, as others have said if you want a 200, the 2019+ 200 is not the same as 2018 and earlier.

How far away are the dealers for the 3 brands you are considering? Having a dealer with a great service department that I trust factored into my Nautique v. Mastercraft decision as both are awesome ski boats.

• Baller

A closed bow ski boat and a pontoon is ideal. But you said only room for one boat and I have always thought if I had to have one boat it would be the ProStar because of the space, the flexibility of open-closed bow and ski racks. The tower does help too.

If you wanted to consider slightly older boats there were several very good DD boats with large ski lockers-sun pads in the rear before V-drives took over.

• Baller
I have all the gear you mention in my 2016 200 OB right now, all of it stored away. It is a great lake boat. I've never had anyone but small children in the front and have loved it when we needed it for that purpose. There is a small amount of storage under the front seats, but not very much. I don't think I keep anything up there.

• Baller

The Prostar observer seat is big so you can easily fit two adults there. Or two and small kid etc.

As mentioned plenty of space behind observer seat for jackets etc.

The ski racks are a key. You mentioned a few skis. You can easily get 4 skis on the boat and not interfere with anything. Still have a ton of space behind driver seat in the floor for cooler, wet jackets etc. And massive (relatively speaking) walk thru passage on the spotter side.

Rear seats and tower will allow more people and the high tow point.

The rear little storage things can fit at least two ski ropes and more in each, so they are useful.

I’m also in the camp the bow isn’t super useful for heavy loads. Especially on public lake. Unless maybe you loaded the back seats with people also to level the boat back out. ? I know if you have 2-3 small kids up there and 3-4 people between driver seat and spotter seat, the front is low….. all the weight is in front of motor / center of boat.

Bow cover is awesome and easy to access. A bit heavy to fully remove - ideally two person job to be careful.

The nautique rear cubby locker things hold a lot but also take up interior space and in my opinion make the boat seem smaller inside. And if you have a whole bunch of wet stuff in there they need dried out. But, some folks love them.

Sounds like a MC 214 would be right up your alley but they are getting harder to find. Won’t ski as good as newer boats you are considering, but you didn’t mention what level you are expecting for ski wake.

The older malibu sun setter always comes up too for this application, but if you are looking at maybe new, I doubt you want a 20 year old boat.

I’m not familiar w new malibus. They seem to have deeper open bow and also have ski rack option I think.

Agree with above to try and check some boats out?

A lot of good information in here, and basically all on point. I won't rehash anything above, but I agree with most all of it.

If you are hell bent on a "new" boat AND an open bow, Prostar is hard to beat for your criteria. I am a Nautique guy, but I have no idea who the new 200 is for. Not nearly enough practical storage for public water and a private lake guy is likely going to gravitate to the Ski Nautique.

I was in a similar situation a few years back -- #1 priority was a slalom boat, but we are on big, busy public water and have 3 kids currently age 3-6 that I intend to pull around on ski trainers, sleds, and tubes for the foreseeable future.

After shopping and climbing around A LOT of old and new boats, I settled on a 2007 Nautique 206. Now finishing up our 2nd season with it, I couldn't be happier. I did retrofit the newer Zero Off into the boat (White Lake Marine in NC did the work). Despite its age, the thing is a tank (it helps that it came to me with <100 hours in immaculate condition). Great storage for public water use - rear trunk (ropes, gloves, jackets), under observer seat (slalom ski), under bow seats (anchor, fenders, sunscreen, etc), tower racks for additional skis (if so inclined). A touch higher free board than newer boats helps with public water and kids too. Not to mention, you can save some cash over new and hit that 529 plan. Of course, you compromise slalom over the newer boats, but, everything about being a public water Dad is a compromise, so what else is new?

• Baller

Forgot about 206. Also hard to find. Probably harder than the MC214. I looked years ago. They must have only made 5 a year back in the day, or nobody is / was selling.

Not to pick on @Blake5982 (nice tug), but There was an option for full spotter seat with flip open back or something, I’d try to find that. More seating…

• Baller
Really is too bad you can't get a Sunsetter LXi anymore. For the vast majority of waterskiing families, it was really was the perfect boat. With how many people come on this and other sites yearly looking for exactly what that boat was built to do, you'd think ONE of the manufacturers would catch on and build something to fit the bill...

• Baller

KIDS SHOULD NEVER RIDE IN THE BOW. I will argue this to my death, one bad wave and they are under the boat about to get chopped up by the prop. I lost a good friend off the bow of a boat and he was an adult. just like a car KIDS IN THE BACK!