Cracked KD Platinum

Gray_Mac

My KD Platinum cracked under my front foot, about 3 months into it's second season!

Just during a normal pass (at 34 mph), no crash or anything.

I find this to be quite unusual and was just wondering if it's happened to anyone else?

2bzo0jyxcb4w.jpg

j1kj6c06sv7p.jpg

• Baller
I have broken 3 skis over the years. Your ski fracture appears to be under the front binder which really would not flex very much. The skis I have broken have failed between the binders. Sometimes in the lay up of the ski, there can be something that would compromise the structural integrity of the ski. I would contact KD and let them know. Pretty good chance they will help you out. Skis do break. Good luck and hope it did not cause a serious fall.

• Baller

Thanks @markn

Fortunately it didn't cause any falls as I noticed it while I was sinking at the end of a pass.

Yes I get that skis break but this just seemed so random.

I did contact KD Europe and they said it's over a year old so outside the warranty period :-(

• Administrators

@Gray_Mac I am 100% sure that is a first generation of the modern KD Platinum.

Whatever it sucks that it broke but it is certainly out of warranty.

• Baller

@MDB1056

Amazing that they have a lifetime warranty! Connelly does seem like a very sturdy ski, much like my old KD 7000 (that I still have) and the 15 year old D3 Custom X that I'm currently riding!

The new KD looks really nice (especially with @Horton 's review) but this makes me nervous to go there. I'm tempted most by D3 :smiley:

• Baller

If it’s really a 2 years old ski, I would have stand behind my product. Regardless of the one year guarantee. This is not a discoloration, or a delamination, or a crack on the tip and the ski looks pretty new. This is an edge to edge crack in the middle of the ski. It could have potentially ended in a very bad way.

I know this happens and has happened to skis of most brands, I’m not blaming the company. I’m just saying that this is a rare case that you go beyond normal and overcompensate the customer.

I’m sure that at least one or two other brands would have stand behind this, maybe by offering a swap or a discount on the next purchase.

This is my opinion though, this is a small market, you gain customers one by one.

Ps only if it’s not a customer’s mistake, I wouldn’t expect this in any other case...

• Baller
My ski partner broke a 2017 Radar between the bindings and it was out of warranty. Radar sent him a demo ski as a replacement which is pretty good customer service. He didn't want to ski it so I did and love the ski. Because of ski age I upgraded to the 22 model and it just is really different from the 2017 and does not suit my style. Bought it at Worlds and is for sale if anyone is interested. Back on the 2017