2022 Radar Vapor Boot - long term review

Horton

• Baller
If anybody cares I talked to the designer of these things months ago he told me quote unquote -- "You can use any release on these." He actually discouraged me from buying last year's vapors. The boot that is. He described the whole concept and inception of these and the cost. I know they're pricey but he says even at that he doubts they're going to break even on these. He said they very carefully discussed making these at all because of the potential for losing money on them. The molds alone were 200k. He thought that these boots will bring everyone forward in relation to waterskiing advancing. Not just radar - everyone.

• Baller
@EFW got my second set with the new Vapor boot today at Matt Rini’s lake. I find the boot very comfortable and had no problems with adjusting to using it, in fact never even thought about the boot while skiing. I really liked everything about the boot. I used the boot with the screw in back removed allowing the cuff to articulate. Great product! And works great with the MOB release system.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
@EFW the 2022 Vapor boot is a game changer for the sport! Everyone can benefit from this boot design. When Brooks first showed it to me I told him it covered every item that I was envisioning in a boot. I just didn’t have $200K to spend on R&D...

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
I agree with @mmosley899 - this boot fits great, is very comfortable and I find that when skiing with it I never even think about the boot. It just works and does what I want it to do. "Hybrid" is a very good description of how it works. The base is very rigid and firm, not allowing any slop, but the top moves just enough for it to be comfortable and responsive at the same time. The intuition liners are top-notch, and everything in the boot just screams quality. They are noticeably better than the previous Vapor boots. I tried a set mounted on a sequence plate and immediately made plans to purchase a pair. As soon as the 2022 Vapors were in my hands I sold my previous binding setup.

• Baller
@MickeyThompson I did not heat mold them yet. They should fit even better after doing that. Like you, I never thought about how the boot was performing, it just did and I felt comfortable with it.

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

I heat more as per the directions from Brooks. Take a hair dryer put it on low at the Top of the liner while it is in the boot for 10 minutes.

After that put a sock on and leave your foot in for 10 minutes with the desired tightness. At the same time do the other boot.

• Administrators
@ctorthopa13 I edited your post a little. I assume you were not saying that you hate @brooks but that you heat your liners the way he says to do it. :-)

• Baller

Answering a few questions - No I have not heat molded them. I wear an 11-1/2 to 12 shoe and got a 12 boot. I wore size 12 of the previous generation Vapors for a few weeks last fall. Mine came with no footbeds. I would be interested in trying it with footbeds to see how it feels, but like I said it felt great right out of the box for me. I mounted them to a Radar Sequence Plate. I had a pretty horrific experience with release-able bindings last year and don't know that I'll try that again. I am not going to try it with these bindings.

I need to give it some more time when the weather warms up to determine if I want to try to ski them to my feet per the Eddie method or try some heat molding.

• Baller
I’ve had a good amount of sets on mine and absolutely love them. The biggest thing I notice is how well the boot tightens around my foot. The last boot I thought hugged my foot well until I skied with this boot. It seems to clamp completely around my foot giving me a lot of control. I have the rear bolt out as well, so the cuff can articulate still, love that feature!

• Baller

@KRoundy I am sure there are differing personal preferences. I have found that NOT heat molding the liners feels the best. I have had 2 pairs of the Strada boots, and two pairs of Vapor Carbitex. I did the heat molding with one pair of the Carbitex. They were OK, but I always felt the other 3 pairs were more comfortable. When I set up my new 2022 front boot, I will not heat mold the liner.

Again, preferrences will vary.

• Baller

@ctorthopa13 I noticed in your pictures that you are able to use 4 screws to hold down the rear of your Sequence plate. With the metal horseshoe piece I have for both of my Sequence plates, I can either catch the forward-most 2 holes, or the more rearward 2 holes, but not all 4. I use the 2 forward holes.

No biggie, 2 screws has always held fine. Just curious if the horseshoe piece is now a little longer front-to-back?

Maybe @brooks or @ColeGiacopuzzi can answer?

• Baller

As per what I have seen across several years, most Reflex pre-releases are due to a poor setup/maintenance. In particular, when the boot can come off without the spring system opening. That is the most important test to make. In this scenario, spring over-tension not only does not matter, but can favor a pre-release.

I believe all waterski binding systems are pretty low tech on their release approach. The phrase “if you do not lace them too tight” is a clear proof.

• Baller_

Curious the thoughts of anyone who's used both a T-Factor and the new Vapor Boot - looks like maybe @Deanoski and/or @ctorthopa13. Comparison between the two boots, pro/cons?

I'm currently on a T-Factor but am super intrigued by the Vapor. I'm a 34mph skier, ran 22off for the first time last week.

• Baller
@SlalomSteve I'm a long time user of the Vapor bindings. I have no experience with the T Factor but remember using rubber bindings a long time ago. The Vapor binding could really be classified as a hard shell and many skiers think it has better control. The one advantage to the Vapor over rubber is it is super comfortable and your foot will not get cramped or fall asleep.

I'm curious, is anyone using this boot on a releasable plate for trick? Currently using 2021 Vapors on a sequence plate for Slalom and Wiley for Trick but this is interesting for using the same front boot for trick and slalom.

• Baller
I had an ankle surgery a couple of years ago. I had always used Vapors. ( not the reason for surgery) My surgeon suggested a release-able binding. I ended up with the HO binding. I also switched my tricker to the same. I really like having the same on both skis.