'99 Nautique motor needs to be replaced. Should we buy new motor or sell & buy another boat?

njordan2001

• Baller

Long story short, we are asking for the community's opinions on whether we should put in a new motor with Zero-Off or sell with salvaged title and look for a new boat.

We have a 1999 Ski Nautique GT-40 "Bubble-Butt", with a ~800 hours. Second owner. Perfect pass. Love the boat.

Our boat was stolen (since recovered) and taken on a joy-ride where somehow they damaged the motor enough that the authorized Nautique service center says we need a new long-block. The total cost of repairs on the estimate is well over the insured amount. Insurance will cover up to $8k in repairs, but beyond that will consider it a total-loss and pay out ~$11k (we were told our policy is not a "replacement-value" policy.

Our options, as I understand them, are to buy back the boat for $1k - $2k (not totally sure how much it could be) and pay to get the boat back up and running. Or use the money towards another boat.

I think we can get a new motor with Zero-off installed for somewhere around $16k - $17k. So, if we buy back for $2k, an additional $1k for other repairs (prop, dash, battery...), the total would be about $20k invested. The hull and interior are still in good condition. Is it worth it??

• Baller
If they are saying that your boat is only worth $11,000, tell them they are way off and insist that they find you a similar boat that you can purchase for that amount (99 or newer Ski Nautique with 800 hours or less in at least as good of condition as yours was before the incident). If they can't find one (no way they can in today's market), they have to ante up for what the current market value is. Your policy should either be a "stated amount" where the dollar amount covered is listed in your declarations page, or actual cash value. The term "replacement cost" would indicate replacement with a brand new similar item, which usually only applies for the first two or three years of ownership. Do not accept a penny less than the amount for a similar replacement. Also, they should cover repairs up to the amount of a total loss, not three thousand less as you indicated above. What is the insurance company? Sounds like a good one to stay away from.

• Baller
Another option is to simply replace with a used GT40 that somebody else pulled out of their boat from a ZO conversion project for a couple grand if you're patient. Or move the GT40 top end and electronics to any 351 marine block. Good GT40 engine computers are getting rare, too, by the way, so that part alone has some value.

• Baller_

If keeping the boat it appears you have 2 options given a stated desire for ZO as a decision item: 1. do the engine swap for a ZO compatible engine and given the $'s you are quoting, a ZO boat for $20k seems like a good deal 2. refurbish the damaged engine and continue with PP. The refurbish option will be much cheaper and there are a few path options. 1. simply source a complete rebuilt engine and plug it in (most expensive), 2. rebuild engine at the Nautique service center (which could end up being the most costly based on labor rate) or 3. find a reputable mechanic (at least reasonable marine savvy) and have them do the refurbish (most economical of the 3 rebuild options).

Has the report given to you actually identified the actual damage or why they are saying the long block needs replacing? Knowing that part could be helpful in understanding the actual repair cost and what parts are actually damaged.

• Baller
Just saw a 2001 with 700 hours for $20K on SIA. Think the insurance payoff is too low. Conversely, for the cost of ZO conversion, where can you get a great slalom ZO tug with 0 hours on a new engine for less than $20K? I had a new engine installed in my 2004 196 in 2016. The engine now has 650 hours on it and runs great. Just this month I spent $4500 for a new series 80 tranny installed (along with a bunch of other maintenance items.) I think it is totally with it. The bubble butt or the TSC2 196 boats are fantastic slalom boats. And your bubble butt is a better barefoot boat too! Even if you get $15-18K for the Nautique, if you can find a newer boat, you will spend at least another $30-50K for a newer boat....to go 34 or 36 mph with ZO. I do not think you gain $30-50K worth of additional performance with the newer boats. Best wishes for a positive outcome. Sorry your boat was stolen in the first place.

• Baller
Rebuild the existing motor . Inexpensive and the boat will run like new. The numbers I’m seeing in this thread are way high. Unless the actual block is cracked or something equally catastrophic any good shop should be able to easily rebuild. Installation is also then a snap. You can easily do a lot of this yourself and save a TON of cash. It's not hard. Repowering to a ZO option adds big costs and additional complexity. That boat skis great like it came from the factory. Would agree with others here you're being shorted by the carrier on value. I'd also get a second opinion on what the "authorized Nautique service center" told you as that's like believing anything a car dealership would tell you regarding needed repairs. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. They'll often take the easiest path, which in your case may mean saying it's toast. Hard to think what a joy ride could do to completely destroy an entire engine. I'd definitely be asking for specifics and also getting another opinion.

• Baller

I have not ruled out putting a new engine and zero off in my '94 Ski Nautique if I can't get parts to rebuild the 351 PCM engine. I have Stargazer 3 event 9.2 with Zbox and it works pretty good for an old boat. Friends of mine have a '99 Ski Nautique in Arizona and it is a favorite boat of the skiers there, and there are a few newer boats. I would refit a ''97-'99 if I had one. Mine is still running good. I have been tracking the course times since I adjusted the background settings and I am averaging +- .02 on every split which is pretty good for an old boat like mine on from the samples I have taken so far.

• Baller
The figure you were given is what the book values show...probably from a book not up to date since pandemic issues. Go to boat trader dot com, Ski it again, and get the claim rep some examples of boats close to yours. The rep just needs something to back up numbers. They may not go all the way to 20k, but rest assured, they'll get to the high teens if it wasn't a stated value type policy.

• Baller
@LeonL yes - as mentioned above in a scenario where there is something that caused catastrophic damage to the actual block integrity then of course you're maybe starting over but even in overheating it's not an automatic the block is trashed. Definitely worth a second opinion - always.

• Baller

Thank you everyone for your replies, comments and suggestions.

Lots of remarks about the insurance payout. Here is a little more back story. We purchased the boat at a DEAL from a good friend. My wife called the insurance company (Chubb) at the time of purchase in 2016 and was told they would not insure for any more than we paid, apparently this is a "stated value policy". Hence, we are now left with the insurance calling the boat a constructive total loss. Settlement is based upon the insured value of $11,000 minus the deductible of $500. Insurance has offered us to buy back the salvaged boat for $1000 which would leave us with a net settlement of $9500 if we take back the boat.

As far as the damage to the motor, the mechanic started the motor after reconnecting a new ignition and battery (the thieves stole those) and said there was a noticeable knocking noise when run. Cyclinder number 2 had no compression. They inspected with a camera and found scoring on the cylinder walls and the piston ring appeared damaged. Spark plug had been impacted by the piston. They want to remove the engine and replace the long block.

We had a couple of knowledgeable friends look at the photos provided with the estimate (one of which works as a boat mechanic) that concur with the Nautique dealer's findings.

So, we need to decide if we want to take the $9500 and use it towards the $16.5K quoted for a new ZO motor (and do the other repairs ourself...dash, ignition, prop damage, etc.) or we were quoted $8K for a used ZO motor with >1000hrs, or look for something else totally (with or without ZO). We are thinking either way we should likely buy back our "salvaged" boat for the $1K and either keep it or resell for maybe $4K for parts or to anyone else mechanically who might want to do a rebuild themselves.

Thanks,

Nate

• Baller_
Cast iron long short and long block assemblies are dirt cheap as they are built via low cost labor with old, no cost tooling. Any developed country labor costs quickly offset that expense unless one puts some of their time to offset them. The R&R, running stuff to a machine shop, etc that ends up as part of a dealer quote,

• Baller
As an co-owner of a 1997 bubblebutt that Jody Seal put zo in , and I also have a 2015 6L SN 200....i can tell you I'd keep the 197. It's still my favorite boat to ski behind. I do love the 200 as well, but the bubblebutts are special. I'd say you're splitting hairs on money. In 5 years, you won't care about the extra few dollars. If you're doing tourneys, put the zo motor in it. If not, go back to what it was and use that gt40.

• Baller
Your probably going to wash on the money either way. But if you love the way the boat skies, and you know everthing about the boat, that's hard to put a price on that! I think I would fix it and have it ready to ski by March of it was me. I sold a 86 supra when I was a kid, to get the "bigger better ski boat".. I often look back and wish I still had it for a second biat. Don't sell the boat!.