Any ski lakes near Ashville NC?

Horton

• Baller
Asheville is a great place. Besides the breweries and great restaurants in the downtown area, if you're a mountain biker. There is an abundance of world class mountain biking in the area. I ride in that area all the time and enjoy the all day or multi-day races in the area such as the ORAMM, PMBAR, DoubleDare, etc...

• Administrators
before the rumor mill gets going.... every couple of years my wife and I threatened to leave California. unsure if it'll ever happen

• Baller

@Horton as a fellow Californian. Last year we started getting the itch. We haven't been to NC in years but wanted to travel in 2022 to check it out. Asheville was one of the first places we looked just scoping properties online. I didn't find much in terms of ski lakes but I did notice while the housing was cheaper, the schools didn't seems to be as good as they were further towards the coast. I started to do more research on the Charlotte area. More skiing availability, better schools, but pricier.

I did like the idea of being closer to the mountain in western NC though.

Tough choice. Not leaving CA... thats the easy part, but where to go from there.

• Baller

I wasnt going to comment, since I was going to talk about areas of NC other than Asheville, but since Keith introduced the idea of other areas of NC, I will. The mountains of western NC are beautiful and it would be a lovely place to live, but if the general area of the country appeals to you but the Asheville area isnt quite right, there are these areas to think about. Again, mountains are beautiful, but for being this far south, they do get pretty wintery. I left the NE to get away from that. Central NC is about 3 hours from mountains, 3 hours from coast. Best of all worlds.

Ski options in central NC.

A club with course on Lake Norman, north of Charlotte.

Not sure but there must be a course on Lake Wylie, south of Charlotte, but home to Carolinas Show Ski Team

A club with a course on a private pool on High Rock Lake. Ideal set up. Separated from main lake by RR track ROW with no cross access.

A club with a course on a small private pool N of Raleigh. Its kind of an industrial area, but not a bad set up.

A club with a course S of Raleigh in Fuquay Varina. Nice venue but pricey, as you have to buy into their boat (I believe)

Cobles Ski School south of Raleigh, ambassador of the sport that you are, you might be able to swing an arrangement with them.

• Baller

@75Tique some of that info is accurate, but some of it is dated.

In terms of the club S of Raleigh. Not sure if you're referring to Panther Lake or Lake Magnolia. I'm a member of Panther Lake. But Panther and Magnolia are both very active clubs and both have some capacity for new members. If anyone wants more details I'm happy to discuss.

Coble is a great place, but is primarily a business. Not really setup as a general ski club.

There are other areas a little further east including the old Centurion site. And there are other places to ski where people aren't as included to share a lot of info publicly.

The Raleigh/RTP and Charlotte areas are the two big population centers, but have very different vibes. One being primarily a technology hub and the other being a banking / financial services hub.

• Administrators

Funny I see web visits from Asheville almost every day. Someone find a place for a course.

How about Trenton SC? Any lakes down there?