H@LY SH!T!

Horton

• Baller
It's kind of impressive to me that the safety chains held. Also, the tow vehicle appears to have gone through the median guard rail without overturning. The trailer wasn't that fortunate. I have never seen a drawbar that appears to have been solid or filled with something. Of course I've never seen an aluminum drawbar before so I wonder if that is typical of aluminum drawbars. I know I will never buy one that is filled or is solid aluminum.

• Baller

@dbutcher aluminum hitches are always solid.

3 things I see. Boat isnt on trailer because it wasnt strapped down no stern straps.

Ratings ratings ratings. Like anything DOT gross weight and tongue weight matter.

And finally chicken or the egg, Ive had trailers come off going down the road. I had an axle spindle come off going down the road. Those safety cables were far too long. When my trailers came.loose thebchains were short enough to keep the tongue off the pavement and stop.

• Baller

@BraceMaker, RE: shorter safety chains so tongue doesn't hit the pavement. This is also why I cross my safety chains in an X pattern under the tongue. Actually do it a couple times if I need to pick up a little slack. So the tongue will land on the chains. At least in theory. Also surprised when others don't.

I've never had a boat trailer come off, but have had two different snowmobile trailers let loose. In each case, the nut on the bottom of the ball of backed itself off. Once a non-event, but the other was in two-way traffic. Was able to use the electric trailer brake to get the trailer to sit down and stop swaying as I slowly pulled over...

• Baller

Never seen or heard of one i Aluminium.

I Sweden and most of Europe they must be ested and certified and inspected by a 'DMW' reguraly.

The boat, cargo must be sufficient strapped to the trailer. Sometimes checked by the Police....

Greatfull no one seems to be injured.

• Baller

@Bongo basically that issue older trailer needed to have the guts of the latch replaced. the nut was frozen and hitch too loose. Eventually I replaced the whole tongue.

I also had a jetski trailer do it empty you assume the hitch is adjusted but check your trailers from time to time use a floorjack to see if the trailer will come loose.

• Baller
My whole life I have driven tractor trailers. I feel like such a dummy when I am shown the simplest tricks that I never knew with smaller boat trailers. Safety chains and cables. It's so easy to adjust them when your cables are too long for the given application. You do not have to cut them to length. All you have to do is twist them in a linear fashion from the hook to get the desired length. Then you still have the chain length or cable when you need them for something longer. fwiw.

• Baller
Safety chains/cables have been longer since the introduction of the swing hitch which requires them to be attached behind the swing hinge. And because boats are wider now and sit higher on the trailer the length of the swinging portion has needed to be longer to avoid submerging the brake cylinder while launching/retrieving the boat. Makes for very long safety chains/cables. Not ideal from a safety standpoint.

• Baller
I’m wondering (out loud) if by keeping my cables too short it might prevent the break away cable from pulling free during a trailer unhitching episode and activating the trailer brakes, as the short cables might hold the tongue too close to the hitch to allow this action.

• Baller

If the hitch broke at the receiver, why isn't the remaining part still in the trailer tongue coupler in that picture?

Aluminum hitches are pretty popular. Anderson Rapid Hitch is one I see a ton. Given that the vast majority of the aluminum hitches I see are drop hitches, I'd bet that it was a larger drop hitch and there was a panic brake event evolved. A hard stop on a huge aluminum level arm sounds like a bad situation.

• Baller

The swingaway tongues do bring up an interesting safety chain issue. I don't know if any of the manufacturers include any type of management for the chains that adequately handle the extra long chains needed for the swingaway tongue. All that is needed is a loop closer to the hitch that the chains can be routed through, while still be attached to the main trailer behind the hinge.

Another note is the safety cables many of these trailers are shipped with. For appearance most are coated in rubber. Sounds great until the rubber cracks and water gets in and stays, causing the cables to rust without the rust being easily visible. After only a couple years I suddenly noticed that my cables were just hanging on by the rubber coating.