Goofy question?

drmadd

• Baller
What made me bring this up is, looking at an old ski diary that I just found, from about 30 yrs ago. I tried a right foot Asymmetrical Matercraft LaPoint, and really skied well on it. (Im left footed). I have a ski I like (yes it happens to be a Goode). Just toying with trying a wrong footed ride. No, not interested in combos, unless they are a pair of jumpers. We all need to take a suicide run once in awhile.

• Baller
Horton - I'm currently on a Goode Wide Ride. Just thought it would be interesting to try a reverse. Thats why I started this blog. Just joking about going to Creags List thing. Although we have fired up some old skis at our lake before and been a little amazed how well they still ski.

• Baller
Now I'm beginning to be curious what an asymmetrical actually is. In the old days we did it by working the bevels or grinding the fin on one side. Thats becoming a lost art. Is a Goode an actually warped ski? The commit above, about trying it I may like it is tempting. I see one online now. I can always make a chair or skateboard out of it.

• Baller_

The Master Craft LaPoint Radius was the first asymmetric ski. For RFF the side cut started to narrow further back on right side than the left side, so the ski was wider at the front heel at the ON side. I still have this ski and it wasn't great for me. Asymmetry wasn't the issue.

r88tueh6ktgt.png

Do-It-Yourself Asymmetry . . . I made the same mod on a wood O'Brien Mach-1 a few years before the Radius came out and ran a PB into 36 off at 36mph in a tournament which was pretty good for that time. You may be too young to remember 36 off. I built up the width at the right front heel and forward a few inches with about 1/8" with resin, then shaped the hardened resin so the side, bottom and bevels blended into the ski as if it had been made that way. It was my best ski ever until I forgot it overnight in the sauna where I accelerated the curing of resins.

Off-Topic . . the wood Obrien Mach-1 was the ski Leroy Burnett was using to run 36 off regularly in the Boys division in 1966. I have a video of the entire crowd standing to watch him ski at the 1966 Nationals in Miami.

The Mach-1 ran tip-down the entire course; looked similar to today's skiers on the Denali in that respect.

Previously posted by @Rich

qnoykbjwg3ov.jpeg

Leroy Burnett. 1966 Nationals & Masters champion. World record holder. Developed the O’Brien fiberglass ski & the HP.

• Administrators

For many years Goode made their skis with an asymmetric carbon layup. The skis were not twisted but torsionally stiffer in one direction than the other. They also did twist for a while.

Denali makes does asymmetrical fins that make a real difference.

• Baller_

FOR SALE Master Craft Lapoint Radius 66" RFF. Excellent Condition. It's currently my Guest ski, but only used once recently. I would give it away, except I would have to find another guest ski. Not a good choice for competitive skiing.

r88tueh6ktgt.png

• Baller_

Do you know if the MasterCraft Pro and Radius are the same ski with asymmetric side-cut on the radius as the main difference ?The concept of the radius, adding width along the front heal-to-midfoot for the on-side was a good concept, but there are bevel changes that could save that asymmetric value and make it a better ski. It wouldn't make it a modern ski, but it could be a classic ski restoration project to burn off tuning obsessions.

• Baller

@swba No, really don't. I believe the Pro was the original model Mastercraft slalom ski that I bought from Jim Heins. Same on both sides. Never really compared it to my buddies Radius 3 or 4 years later as he had a smaller size "Radius". Seemed to me though, that the Pro had a wider side cut at the bindings than the radius.