First Time at a Ski School. What do I need to know?

Brokenstack

• Baller

I am from MT. We are taking a vacation to FL next week and for my birthday my wife booked me a couple sets at McCormicks Ski School. This is a bucket list thing for me as I don't have any access to schools and such. I have been skiing for a long time but got on a course for the first time last year and really got interested in the whole tournament scene as a fan. I also realized I have been skiing wrong for 20 years and have a lot of bad habits to break. I have used GiveGo some but am really excited for this opportunity.

I don't know what I don't know about ski schools and am looking for a little help with ettiquite etc. so I don't look like a total idiot when I show up. I have the first set of the day so won't really be able to watch anyone. Would love to hear your thoughts. Do's and Dont's.

Do I tip? When and how much? Things like that.

• Baller
Congrats on checking off a bucket list item...great wife!! Ski schools recognize each skier is of a different skill set and physical conditioning, so relax and let the coach lead the way. Assume you will be taking your own gear: gloves, ski, handle. If not, the school will have gear for you. Focus on what the coach is teaching rather than trying to run 8 or more passes per set...quality over quantity. Have your wife video the session so you can reference the instruction later at practice. As far as tipping, 20% of total would certainly be generous. It is certainly appreciated but not mandatory. How much you want to tip certainly is dependent upon the experience you had....kind of like in a restaurant. Have a blast and good luck.

• Baller

Cool!

Go through your usual warm up routine and be ready a couple minutes before the set is scheduled.

Set up shop on or near the dock, but be considerate to leave enough space for other skiers and their gear.

If you need soap to get into your bindings, bring a small container even though it’s mostly provided by the school.

Bring your own rope and handle (or at least the handle)!

Be on the dock, gloves and vest on and ski/boots ready.

If you use a hardshell, have it on your foot!

Hand over the rope/handle and let the coach/driver know about your preferred ZO settings, starting speed, and line length.

Follow the coaches advice of how to start the set. Most schools start from the dock, some take their students in the boat and idle to the drop zone.

If you bring company, ask the coach if he’s ok with them riding in the boat.

(Most the times there need to be weights shifted around the boat if a passenger is present.) Ask if it’s ok to take pics/videos while in the boat.

After your set, most of the coaches will have a quick follow up talk with you. Listen!!!

Don’t rush out, but also don’t stick around the coach too long and hold up the routine.

You’ll figure it out.

Most importantly - Bring a positive attitude and have fun!!!

*edit

One thing I forgot - after you’re done, get your stuff out of the way!

Nothing more annoying than getting ready for a set and having to step around the dock, avoiding piles of wet gear cluttered everywhere.

Also - Check the Spraymakers podcast for the episode “How to get the most out of your coaching” or something along the lines - Lots of insights there!

• Baller

I've been to McCormick's (as have others here). There will probably be at least a few rookies there, most certainly some people who aren't running the course at 39 off, so absolutely don't get nervous. Just have fun and don't over-try. Ie, skiing your absolute hardest just to make a bouy that doesn't actually matter can end up in falls in the middle of the course, or injuries, or not being able to wipe your a%% the next morning.

A few things...it's very possible that the people driving and "coaching" will change throughout the day, or by whatever boat is ready to pull (usually two of them are on the water) so what they tell you to focus on be different. Pick one or two things and work on that. Also they aren't all "coaches" some are kids who are staying there to train, knowledgeable perhaps, but not always well versed at coaching. One of my "coaches" was French and barely spoke english. His advice on one aspect of what I was doing, was exact opposite from what a "coach" from an earlier set told me.

If you aren't bringing your own ski, vest, gloves, handle...well, you gotta use what they will let you use or buy it. The ski might work fairly well for you, or it might not. Once again, just enjoy skiing as part of your vacation. I got a bit worked up/disgruntled about that part as there were three of us guys that didn't bring our own and were told on site to share the same ski. We were all very different in size (body and feet) and ability (and this ski was OLD, and not even a very good ski when new). I was told over the phone that they had multiple skis like mine at home (a KD at the time) that I could use. Yes, the did have at least 5-6 of my exact skis, but when I asked if I could use one, they said those belonged to other skiers so I needed to use the one they had. One of the guys had really small feet and they had him duct tape himself into the binding. After my 2nd set, I chilled and had some lunch, and realized that nothing has ever been perfect on any vacation, so just go with it. That afternoon and the next day I just said screw it and enjoyed being on the water and talking with others.

I hope that your experience starts off better than mine, but in the end, while wishing I had brought my own ski (which wasn't really possible for that vacation) or been able to use a different one, the reality is that it might not have been set up even close to what I was used to, so it would feel very different anyway.

• Baller

All good advice so far. The fact that you are conscientious and asking for etiquette tips here shows you’re already of the right mindset.

Take it easy. Remember that no matter how good you feel skiing the first day, you’ll be sore and tired the following days. Depending on how many sets you’re taking, pace yourself and take it easy.

I just started my skiing season this week at Swiss in Clermont and for every 15 minute ski set, I’ve warmed up (jogging and body weight exercises) and stretched for 30 minutes before and 10 minutes after. Hydrate, eat well, have fun.

After a pass, breathe and listen. Let the coach do the talking but surely ask questions if you need to. There has surely been someone more novice than you there! I’ve watched guys skiing into -39 and the next set is a kid trying to get up on combos. Zero ego and lots of smiles.

Also, take some time to visualize what you’re going to do once on the water. I walked the lake here probably 5 times before I skied to try and get my head into ski mode after a winter off. Try to image how things will feel, when you’ll pull out, glide, turn in. Where the pressure will be under your feet.. etc etc. Sub-20 seconds per pass isn’t lot of time to try and work everything out at once.

• Baller
Thanks for everyones thoughts. I told them it wasnt possible for me to bring a ski or handle and they said they had everything. I hope they have some good skis available but also have heard they dont always. I know I will just need to make due with what ever they have. The guy I talked to on the phone didnt know too much about skiing (Said he was a wakeboarder) so I am trying not to let my expectations be too high. I'm only scheduled for 2 sets and I am in decent shape so I dont think I am pushing it too hard but also feel like that will be about my limit. (And yes she is a great wife)

• Baller_
@Brokenstack depending where you are staying our shop is about 45-50 mins from Mccormicks, and have some demos if you swing by, but the best advice I can give you for ski school is be a sponge, everyone is there for the same reason, going to a ski school is 100% about you getting better. The coaches there are awesome so you will learn plenty! If you do have kids who wakeboard the cable park is a good babysiter / time killer for them also! I have not been out there in a bit, but I suggest bring a cooler with some water in it for you, and some ice.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
Hey Brokenstack: First of all, great “handle”. Only a slalom skier would get that but I’m sure everyone here does. For the camp, I have been twice to a week-long ski camp in Florida (Travers Int’l Ski Center). I guess your day of two sets would be like the first day of that experience. I would say it might help to look at the site (as mentioned by others here). Rolling out of the turn island can be so different that it takes you by surprise sometimes. At Travers the grass grew out onto the water (on top of it) and sometimes I skied on it because I wasn’t exactly where I needed to be. I learned to concentrate a lot more around the island! Also, the first set you take, it will all be something different. If you can, try to focus on fundamentals because it will not look like your normal setup and you have to be able to handle that with some normal mechanics in a foreign setting. For example, at Travers there were so many buoys from Ski and Jump courses at one end, I got confused at first. Got used to that too. Also, remember the instructors are there to help you. They will want to see you just go for it normally, and then decide what you can work on that will help you most. They aren’t looking for a Breakout Pro Tour star to show up. They would have heard of you if that were the case. The best part of it is they absolutely know what to prioritize in terms of helping your technique. You might not be able to do what they ask you to try, or it might even make you momentarily worse as you attempt new moves. Accept that and don’t worry about your buoy count or that kind of thing. Let them help you make progress to adapt any new technique into your standard style. If you can, book another two sets after you have had a day or two later. Its hard to do new stuff right away and you may make a big leap if you go back after thinking about it. Of course, try to be in great shape. Won’t make so much difference for two sets but if you go for a week long (15 sets) it is necessary. Good luck and enjoy it Florida is so good for camps you can’t go wrong.

• Baller

Love the name!!

I'm out in Clearwater and ski at McCormick's. Just 45 minutes away. Michael is a great guy and awesome coach. Just relax and soak up the knowledge. The fact that you are asking about etiquette and what to expect already signals that you are a good person. Michael will pick up on this right away.

It hasn't been too busy there lately. You will drop in right off the dock and head straight into the course for a run or two while Michael sizes up your skiing. I typically spin at the far end and stop on the dock end for his comments instruction. My daughters (better skiers) typically drop on both ends to hear Michael's wisdom.

No riding in the boat when we were last skiing. Concerns about COVID. Michael's wife just had a baby a few months ago.

Have an open mind and consider his suggestions.

Let me know if you have any questions about our area.

Don't forget to have fun! What an awesome gift and wife. Funny how I was just up in Montana last week skiing.

• Baller_

1. Don’t apologize for skiing poorly. It adds nothing to your lesson and can be annoying. You’d be surprised how many people do it.

2. Don’t tell the coach what you think you did wrong. Let hem/her tell you what you did wrong. This rule does not apply if you are asked for self-analysis, such as “What did you feel at three ball.”

3. If you don’t understand what you were just told, ask your coach to try again or explain it differently so you understand what you are being told or asked to do. You are paying for your set and so you are entitled to understand the coaching.

4. If you can’t video record your whole set including the set downs when the coach is talking, immediately after your set write down what you learned. You’ll probably have the opportunity to go over your notes with the coach between skiers just to make sure you accurately recorded his coaching. When you start skiing in the summer, review your notes.

Lpskier

• Baller
Thanks so much for everyones comments. @lpskier that's definitley the kind of stuff I was looking for. @mike_mapple thank you so much for the offer. Its an honor to hear from you. Unfortunately we are staying in Indian Rocks Beach so I am coming from the wrong direction. I would love to come in and look through that store sometime though.

• Baller
Had a great time with Mike, Not what I was expecting....the cable park wasnt open and I was the only one onsite. Had Mike's full attention and even though I am a beginner he couldn't have made me feel more comfortable. He stuck around after my two sets and chatted a while and then headed out to be with his family.