Decline of skiing... on snow

ToddL

• Baller

Interesting article that mirrors competitive waterskiing. I don’t have numbers, but from what I see on my public lake and on the hills/mountains I ski, water and snow sports overall seem healthy…it’s the high level competition that’s in decline.

https://sports.yahoo.com/us-alpine-skiings-worst-olympics-in-34-years-exposes-deeper-issues-in-program-042008840.html

• Baller
Cost of either sport is dependent on location and circumstances. I spend about the same amount to take one 4 day ski trip out west as I do for my yearly ski club membership. I'm sure the cost would be the other way around if I lived near a ski resort and had to buy a house on a lake.

• Baller_

Elite sports are very expensive whether it's travel, equipment, etc. If snow or water skiing is costly, simply ask Mr. Stroll or Mazepin how much they spent to get their sons on the grid in F!, all other sports pale in comparison.

I do hope the US finds a way to encourage / train alpine skiers to improve or generate more consistent results on the world stage. It seems the US is very sporadic & only has one leading skier able to get podiums consistently across the genders / disciplines on the Alpine side. Freestyle & the pipe is a different story it seems.

• Baller

@DW - My fam loves F1! Yep, $$$$$$$$$ (and many more)

When every backyard sport organized into a NGB, they all became exclusive and elite. No child can participate fully in more than 1 sport because the expectation of the teams, coaches, etc. is 1000% commitment to their sole sport. Further, commitment means pursuit of highest echelon of competition. No room for the casually competitive.

Thankfully, some mountain ski areas open their NASTAR courses to the general public. For a small fee, one can ski the course and get times.

I guess a water ski equivalent of snow skiing would be if large public lakes became "privately" controlled, where by lake goers paid for "launch" passes, and lake patrol monitored activity. Then, the corporate entity owner could possibly provide a slalom course in a controlled cove where lake goers could pay to test their skills. Yeah, no thanks.

• Baller

Here is just one rough guestimate. Lots left out. Prices may not reflect most people's situation. This is just a fun exercise using the stated scope and assumptions.

Assumptions: Ski season May-October, Skier starts at age 10 to 17 yo inclusive = 8 years of skiing.

$300/mo lease access to private lake (6 mos/year) = $1,800/yr

$20/set to use club boat, 2 sets per outing, ski 3 days a week = 156 sets = $3,120/yr

$50 lesson every other week during summer = $650

$800 used ski every other year = $400/yr

--------

$5,907/yr, $47,760 total

Investment ramps up in the last 4 years...

So, 10-13: $23,880, then...

$300/mo lease access to private lake (full year required) = $3,600/yr

$30/set to use club boat, 2 sets per outing, ski 4 days a week = 208 sets = $6,240/yr

$75 lesson every week during summer = $1,950

$1200 ski every other year = $600/yr

--------

$12,390/yr, for the last 4 years (14-17) $49,560

So, total is $73,440.

Well, that was an interesting exercise...

• Baller

@ToddL. I think your estimate is a good start. Of course, lots of other costs could be added. Tournament fees. Travel and lodging to tournaments. Here in CA, I see most of the Top kids take far more lessons than what you have estimated and the cost per lesson is often higher than your estimate. Seems like the top kids also go to Florida, Louisiana, or elsewhere for training. Gloves, ropes, handles, vests, etc. add up as well.

I think a three event might be a better comparison to snow skiers as snow skiers from 10-15 usually ski SL, GS and Super G, and have 3 to six sets of skis, 3 sets of poles, and the specialty shin guards, arm guards, back protection, helmets, etc. for the disciplines. Similarly in water skiing you could count the trick skis, jump skis, trick ropes, toe ropes, jump suits, helmets, arm slings, etc.).

I would think that without being too ridiculous in the estimates, the junior water skier number could go over $200K.

Seems as though it's costly to raise a top athlete in most sports these days, and particularly in equipment intensive sports.