Malibu Response TXI- any years to avoid?

Rw3

• Baller

'12-'16 with driver alone throws a little spray off the back corner on a calm day started getting hit at 32 off. With a counter weight no problem. Otherwise I like the '12 to '16 and newer models as well. Feels kinda like a big boat, but handles kinda like a smaller boat.

Nice wake, good tracking. Never feel like the "bu's" are built quite as well as CC or MC.

• Baller_

Get 2015 or 2016, as I also believe those had the engine location moved forward. Better tracking and wake.

Starting in 2017, they seemed to have power problems, especially in higher air temps.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I've had a '08, '09 '12,'13,'14','15,'16, '17 and 20. there all good. on the 08-14 i put more weight up front in the nose. It helped to lock down the boat for tracking. Also, malibu's have big gas tanks. we usually would only fill to 1/2 tank max.

hope this helps

• Baller
@ALPJr I had a 94 echelon closed bow. Mine had the 454 which added a lot of power but also a lot of weight. The boat actually tracked really well. It had a pretty flat hull so it was a rough ride in chop. The slalom wake was very weight sensitive. With minimal gas and the back seat out it skied pretty well. The wake was small but it was very hard. If you hit it wrong it felt like hitting a curb. Too many people or gas and it got worse quickly.

• Baller_
Echelon with a small block throws a very good wake, just remember the latest boats are excellent. There is a bump at 22/28 off, flat 32/35/38 and dips at 39. It got great reviews back in the days of a real Waterski magazine review, it ranked with the other top offerings. Same hull as a 90’s Response with the SV23.

• Baller

I figure @DW would chime in but he is probably still skiing out west besides weight reduction he relocated the fuel tank to under the bow.

I skied my neighbors 96 response for many years it was bascially a stripped Echelon skied well

I believe they changed the hull in 99 with the introduction of the LX I really liked the 99-05? Great 22' off wake

• Baller_
@RAWSki they produced the LX well beyond 2005. I have a 2009 and I believe they made it a few years beyond that (2012 or so) and then made the LXR to about 2015 or so. However, I was told the LXR did not ski quite as well as the LX.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Yep, Alta-Snowbird occupying my time ?

My project boat has been relieved of 475 lbs. All aluminum small block, carbon fiber platform, engine box, panels, fuel tank moved to ski locker up front so transom area is gutted (it actually acts as a ski locker).