early 2000's Connely Mapple Ski. Replace or new bindings?

Bionaraq

My wife (5'4", 12x lbs) has ski'd nearly all her life. Eventually working her way up to a Mapple ski in the early 2000's. (Her father does not recall when he bought it. but he and all three kids were on Mapple ski's).

Her ski's bindings (not the original ones for the mapple but double bindings) are starting to show age after a decade of garage storage when we were not local and only did occasional skiing. in 2020 we moved back to the area and then spent the entire 2021 season skiing every sunday with her fathers SN and the local ski crew. We come in later around 9 am because both of us are warming back up into it. (see prior thread on my attempts) and because our eldest son kneeboards after we get our attempts in. (warming his confidence up to get him onto some training ski's).

She's never going to ski a course. She's a good skiier but never been a natural and enjoys the heck out of it. (32 mph, not sure on how much off. I'ts been the same for quite some years.) After two long runs she's usually pretty tired and unable to ski well enough to want a third run.

Her father thinks we should just buy new bindings because in his opinion Mapple was the greatest ever and there is no need to replace the ski with a 20 year newer design. He also does not believe in using anything other than a top tier competition ski because if you're going to ski you need to try do the absolute best you can. This is also why after a really bad fall two years ago he refuses to ski as he kept pushing it past his body saying "lets slow down now".

I'd prefer to buy a new ski that's made for open water that can get her a bit more time to ski and enjoyment to work back up to needing a ski like the mapple. (I was looking at the Radar Lyric Graphite for example.) I do not know why I'm into Radar other than I feel like their marketing does a better job of "reaching out" to me. I just bought a 71" Radar Butterknife to get my butt up, off of SIA.

As the title says, Is the tech worth trying to get her a newer ski and boots? Or just get her some HO Freemax plate's and enjoy the ski she has?

• Baller_

I would suggest getting a whole new ski set up, as the technology from my dads early Obrien skis (never skied on Connely) I am assuming its a siege? the technology has been greatly updated. A newer ski even a mid-range ski, is better than the old high end skis. If she is in love with the ski you can always put new boots on, but if you have the option to demo some stuff it will show her how much better the newer skis are. If you are in Orlando stop by the shop and I can set you up with demos.

However for Radar the Lyric Graphite would be great, from HO the Carbon Omni would be a great choice to.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Members
@mike_mapple We are in Charlotte, NC. I'd love to do some demo's though. We waited this long because my FIL insisted that the boat show would have ski's at a discount (how he got all three of his kids 1 year old Mapple ski's back in the day).

• Baller

Your FIL sounds like a real piece of work!

My wife skis on a 35 year old connelly concept. She loves that ski, but it weighs a ton! First try on my daughter's Connelly Carbon V and she was amazed. The lighter ski with new technology had her popping right out of the hole and carving it up in open water and even now into the course.

Do your wife a favor and get her a new ski. Just don't tell your FIL until he sees her on it.

• Baller

Dave Wingerter from HO said it pretty well in a product video I just saw. Basically, he said course skis are meant to make 6 turns, drop, rest, shorten the rope, and repeat. Open or crossover skis are meant to make 60 turns and keep on going. There’s a whole different design philosophy. Long video but I found it interesting:

• Baller
In 2020, I replaced a high end ski I got in 2005. I initially had similar feelings as your father-in-law until I did some research about how much skis have changed. I recall reading a comment from @Horton when someone had a similar post about his late 90's high-end ski. Something to the effect of throwing a dead cat and hitting any current ski, and it would be leaps and bounds ahead anything from that era.

I'm not nearly the skier most of the guys and girls on this forum are!! But I, like your wife really enjoy open sking and just laying the biggest turns and sprays I can at high rate of speed! I do ski the balls and love it! but try not to get completely caught up in it, because I have wife and kids that board and ski so we make it a family activity. But back to your wifes ski. Id been riding a double high wrap 1994 kidder redline comp that was top of the line at the time. I been riding it since I was 14, just because I had so much confidence in it I never gave anything else a chance! But I got a new radar last fall with double binding set up. And holy crap! After a few days to get used to the speed and handling in has, I was sking like I was 21 again with half the effort!!! Get her a new ski! The new technology is unbelievable!!

The vapor is the ski I got but they offer some more stable slower skies 29-32 mph. The senant seires sounds like a fun ski for some one like her. I've never skied one, but I'm sure some of the great insiders on this forum would probably have a opion. That's why I love this page! Average ski bum like me can ask questions and listen to advice from the best in the industry!

• Baller

The Radar Lyric is the female specific version of the Senate. Same exact shape and dimensions, but (I’m summing it up in my own terms) different layup of materials in order to achieve differing flex for women. Great ski. Radar designs their top ski, the Vapor, and then widens that shape in 0.2” increments, making its product line the Vapor, +0.2” Senate/Lyric, +0.2” Union, +0.2 Session. This gives skiers all the way up and down the spectrum the new design feeling and attributes of their world class Vapor. *

In the same ballpark as the Lyric is the Connelly Carbon V and the HO Omni.

* I don’t work for Radar, nor am I even on one currently. I do, very much, like them and believe their design philosophy works. I’m also a ski nerd who will probably own this years Vapor at some point this summer.

• Members

Looks like she is going to go with the Carbon Omni. Waiting on a response from one place as their listing is a bit lacking in information (but saves me $150 bucks on ski plus bindings). If not Perfski will get the order. Perfski lists two Carbon Omni's a LTD and regular. I cannot find ANYWHERE else that shows this. @mike_mapple any idea why there are two? It's hard to tell in the images but it looks like one has a slight difference in the carbon fiber portion? Less flowers. ?

https://www.perfski.com/ski/slaloms/slalom-ski-packages/ho-2022-womens-carbon-omni-with-double-womens-stance-110-s.html

https://www.perfski.com/ski/slaloms/slalom-ski-packages/ho-2022-womens-ltd-carbon-omni-with-double-stance-110.html