What size Denali C85

swbca

• Baller_

Watching @horton @adamhcaldwell and other skiers on the C85 it looks like the tip can stay down through all phases of a short line pass. Pointing to an extreme contrast, a every small number of the top pros consistently complete every offside turn with a tail stand when they are on their difficult passes. While its ancient history, the best ski I ever had worked with weight centered over the ski. Snappy short-line turns Could be initiated and completed centered over the ski. Not easy to find skis like that.

What size for C85 for 165lbs, 6-0, 32mph ? I don't want to err on the side of being too wide because of the slower speed wake. The size chart suggest "Small" is possible, but "Medium" more likely. Is the design of ski fast enough for me to use a Small ?

8h4wqg5tg0a3.png

• Administrators

I'll leave it to the Adams to tell you what size ski you get.

As for exit of offside, I don't believe any accomplished skier will tell you it is a good thing to move back.

• Baller_

@swbca several comments on your ski selection:

- keep in mind the C85 is still a 65" ski

- A "wider" ski is generally a good thing and will give more margin for mistakes than a narrow ski

- that size chart is probably a better guide for a 20yo ripping at 36. You need to consider your age and speed and adjust size accordingling

- traditional rules and guidelines get turned on their head when talking about the Denali

I'm 195lbs, skiing at 34 and ride the XL. It is by no means "too big". It is the best ski I've been on in a long time.

Based on my experience with the C85, I would recommend the L for you, but will defer to the Adams.

Full review and more opinions here:

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/25668/butterfield-s-c85-review

_

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators
I can see the argument. Yes I have ridden skis that rise up at the finish - not my favorite skis for sure. The best skis allow the skier to stay centered over the ski through the turn and back to the wakes.

• Baller_

@Bruce_Butterfield To simplify design prototyping, Denali was the first to acknowledge that ski length doesn't matter, unless you're getting down to Jr. sizes. You can take any 68" ski and cut 3" off the tip and it makes no difference, so when addressing ski shape, they only adjust the width.

The chart I pulled from their web site is specific to 32mph. Back, when I was tuning skis every day, if found that ski width and bevel design under the front foot had a large impact on how the ski transmits shock to skier from the wake. When I switched from a 68" D3 to a 67" D3 the narrower ski was easier to ski on.

It would be helpful to demo a couple of sizes.

Thanks for your great review and your feedback.

8h4wqg5tg0a3.png

• Administrators
uncontrolled tip rise could be basic ski design, could be skier technique, could be fin and binding setup, could be the skis flex .....

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield - Glad you are enjoying your ski.

We work EXTREMELY HARD at making sure our recommended sizing is appropriate for all skiers. The core of our market is 34 and 32mph skiers and the depth of our recommendation charts reflects that 100%.

From my experience, a persons height and ability to create lateral leverage is a greater factor in ski sizing then weight. Which to me makes a ton of sense, but become far to convoluted in communicating a size chart that way.

Consider two 220lb skiers at 34mph. One that is 5'6" and one that is 6'2". The shorter guy has two soft rubber boots (Wiley) and the taller skier has two high cuffed hard shells. Its very common for the taller guy with stiffer hard-shells to like the XL while the shorter guy with rubber boots rips the best on a medium despite being the same weight. Skiing STYLE is another big factor on this as well. Sizing is not easy as there are a lot of factors at play that influence the final setup of ski size, fin settings, etc.

Our sizing tables come from a ridiculous amount of feed back and testing with all kinds of skiers from 28mph up to 36 and we have revised them a number of times as we learn more and more about the ski and continue to gain feedback info from skiers riding them.

• Baller_

I am 6’2”, 185, double hardshells, ski 32 (M7), ride a large C85. Tournament PB on this ski 3@38 (and it was my fourth set on the ski). I can turn 5 in practice.

@adamhcaldwell Do you follow the perhaps “conventional” rule of thumb to “ride the largest ski you can turn?”

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier

Yeah I think theres some truth to that. As long as you can turn it, then the bigger ski will be less demanding on the body and keep you moving in the turns better.

But its possible if the setup is WRONG, the bigger ski can be harder on the body if you're taking slack hits every time you turn the ball.

• Baller_

@adamhcaldwell You have the boot position measurement from tail the same on all sizes of your skis. On all other brands the boots are further forward on the wider (longer) skis.

Is it a performance benefit to the larger C85 skis to have same tail to boot distance as the smaller skis? Or is it a non-factor ?