ZO settings for heavier skiers

ghutch

• Baller
Just thinking out loud here... I'm 6'3", 210. Thinking if I run ZO on C settings it will not slow down as much and have to react "more" to keep the speed up. I tried it the other day and it felt pretty good, still early in the season to really tell anything. I have also run plus settings with good results. Again my thinking is that by the boat remaining "stronger" the drop in speed and subsequent reaction will not be so drastic keeping me swinging around the pylon more efficiently. Hope I'm explaining this right. Crazy or hmmm... may be on to something? Come on SUMMER!!!!!

• Baller_

Not a pro, per se, but Open Men's competitor @Triplett runs a C2 setting.

To answer your other question @ghutch, I think he is about 5' 11" and something like 190-195.

As for his scores, he's had a practice score of 3@-41 (not sure if any more that that) and a 2@-41 at the 2018 Nationals.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
When I was around 240 and going from PP to ZO, I tried a bunch of B and C along with + settings, thinking A settings were just for lighter skiers, but at the suggestion of @Ed_Johnson tried A1+ and found a lot of timing issues of hooking up after the buoy went away. Today at a little more weight and skiing more recreationally, I seem to bounce from A1+ to B2 on a new MasterCraft, and A1+ on my 07SN.

• Baller
@Deanoski what is the thought process and settings you use from boat to boat? @lpskier I have noticed the A2 setting being used quite a bit. Adam Cord even mentioned once before about staying away from the C settings due to it dropping too much and having longer to catch up. I'm not 100% this was his meaning but how I understood it.

• Baller_
@ghutch If I recall correctly, @adamhcaldwell told me that he preferred the A setting because it allowed the boat to advance down course further before load is added. I presume this translates to a tighter line and the rope being closer to 45* to the direction of travel before ZO engages. I’ve tried the A setting and for me it doesn’t work as well as C2.

Lpskier

• Baller

@lpskier

This is tricky. For me, Yes, there are things about A settings that help keep the boat moving out in front of the skier on the way into the buoy. HOWEVER, its no good if you are not getting enough energy on the way into CL. You have to get support and adequate throttle into CL before anything good will happen into the next turn.

Some boats at 36mph are almost too sensitive (too fast on/off throttle), and moving from a "C" to an "A" has helped. Load that same "sensitive" boat up with a bunch of people, gear and fuel, and the C will probably be better then A.

The same boat that feels good on an A setting at 36 might feel terrible at 34mph with "A". Dropping to 34 over the last 4 years I almost always have to push to C2/C3 before I like what I am feeling.

I think a lot of it has to do with the ZO programs, Hull Drag, and Propslip/Engine RPM for given speed and what we are asking the boat to handle in terms of crew weight, fuel type, intake air temp etc and then on top of that handle the skiers input off the ball and behind the boat.

There's no "right" answer. But, if you study the numbers provided in the ZO tables - interestingly there are things about A1 that are more similar to C3 then you might think.

• Baller
Looking a little further.. and getting more advice.. now thinking the C setting may not allow for that swing into the buoy line due to coming off too soon. Did ski C2 today and should have run my 35s. Felt great. This is obviously still an experiment to find what works for me but still like reading the feedback from others.

• Baller

@ghutch

6’3” and 200lbs.

Used to ski c1@36 but now prefer a3@36 and b2@34, No great theory behind it, just try different options at times and they feel best for me..

Been running 38 much more lately but I’ll thank the c75 for that more than zo settings..