What are your stories about going down the rabbit hole in skiing?

Horton

• Administrators

In the last few months I have started a new hobby. It will likely not occupy nearly as much time and money as skiing but I am now one of the new guys going down the rabbit hole for the first time. In skiing I am …. “whatever I am” … point is I can pick up the phone and just call many of the best know skiers and officials in the sport about anything. In my new hobby I am more of a kook than any of you. It is interesting to be on the other side of the table.

I am pouring over YouTube videos and trying to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who is full of themselves. I have looked at the forums but not sure I can be the new guys there. There was even a moment when I thought about my own version of fifteenoff.com – a log about the new guy but no.

What are your stories about going down the rabbit hole in skiing?

• Baller

I was lifting at a gym in Minneapolis with brother Jim. Some dude next to us asked if I compete and I’m like compete at what?

Said if if I pushed that weight would win the state tournament. When is it? 2 weeks. Sign me up.

Set 3 records in 3 rounds. Then got more serious, trained harder and got no further—hurt more.

Tracked my car with brother Joe last year—will see where that goes. Been karting recreationally for a while. Either one of these could take me down a long, dark path filled with adrenaline and cost. Cud be pretty fun tho. Karting by far the cheaper route.

• Baller

I guess I can’t stick to anything…each one is a rabbit trail that lasted several years, some are still pretty active.

Waterski

Alpine ski

Margaritas

Running

Swimming

Wine

Triathlons

Cycling

old Jeep

Resurrecting Malibu ski boat

Back to waterski to learn competition form, though I only have done maybe 10 sets in a course in 3 years.

Am currently into yoga…also-wine is making a resurgence.

• Baller_

@6balls Unless you have a pit crew and mechanic, tracking your car can be as hard on your back as skiing. We would rather see you skiing, if that's possible.

Would you rather turn your money into smoke, or spray ? If track is the best option, many of your mental and physical skills that make you a great slalom skier apply directly to the track.

• Baller

Learning an entirely new skill set and progressing from "novice" to "well accomplished" in any endeavor is very rewarding. Have been down several rabbit holes (and still in many) over the years. An equally long journey was HPDE. Had a Porsche and a guy suggested I go to the track. OMG was I lost....not a clue. Best advice for advancing in a new endeavor is to join a good club of that activity and search out friendly people experienced with it. I was a total wally in the green group and took a while to gain confidence and further develop a deep interest. (thanks to all the patient instructors who helped me along the way) Almost bailed, but with Chin Track Days and Porsche Club of America, worked my way up to instructor for both clubs. Found one of the most rewarding aspects of becoming more accomplished is helping the newbies gain confidence and improve their skills....just like skiing. After I obtained a full blown dedicated track car, I think the sport is more expensive than skiing!

Whatever your new endeavor, hope you have a fun and rewarding journey...and thanks for BOS..you are the master!

• Baller_

@markn HPDE is another great place to engage your energy and creativity to work towards the 98th percentile. Like you, most guys that stick with HPDE become instructors which adds a lot depth to the experience. After 4 or 5 years of just driving and standing around, its just not enough. With instructing you develop a new circle of friends just like with Water Skiing.

I didn't know so many Water Ski people were also into the road track. Maybe its the competitive nature that can be exercised in both rabbit holes. Oh, and I just remembered there are many layers of similarity between road track and and competition slalom. The central demarcations are the APEX and the BALL and your efficiency in getting from one to the next.

• Baller

Some of the stuff I’ve tried has required too great a time commitment. Example: Trailer dirt bike to venue 2-3 hrs away. Ride for 2 hrs. Return. A whole day is gone. I couldn’t justify time away from my family @ any decent frequency. If I could ride from my back door, I’d do it.

Skiing is nearby and can happen early. Nearly always done by 7:30 or 8:00 a.m.

• Baller

I rabbit-hole everything in my life and usually go 1000% until I succeed, fail, or lose interest and move onto the next obsession. If I know myself, I've been skiing for 3 years now and only have a couple left, but I think skiing is different.

I've done competitive shooting, DIY jet engines, cycling, woodworking, a handful of random small businesses including screen printing and signmaking, DIY audio electronics, guitar building, the list goes on. Cycling is the only thing from the past I've touched in the last 5 years.

In regards to skiing, I'm really good at convincing myself I need to try other skis. For 1-2 years I've been tinkering on-and-off with a submersible ski course system, I've bought and sold 18 Mastercraft ski boats as a bit of a side-hustle to pay for skiing etc. Currently repowering a 1991 Prostar with ZO because just using what works isn't real fun. Digging a lake is on my to-do list but I'm about $1m short so I'm currently accepting donations.

• Baller
@horton already off track I wrote about karting and tracking. So back on track--rabbit hole in skiing--when I first started playing more extensively with fin/wing/binding instead of just using athleticism and strength to make up for my relative lack of technique--more powerful boats with ZO forced me to re-tool to some degree instead of just winning against the boat. The endless chase for "settings"!

• Baller

Espresso/Cappuccino and all things coffee. The funny thing is how similar these hobbies are. There are forums for our passion just like BallofSpray. We geek out on measurement methods just like we do with fin settings. The latest espresso machines and grinders will set you back as much as skis and if you really get into it as much as a used boat.

The wonderful thing is I don’t have to stop enjoying this hobby in the winter.

• Baller
When I felt the deepest pull into the rabbit hole of waterskiing was when I was making trips to ski with Jamie B at Trophy Lakes in the early 2000s. I was starting to run 38 and would consume every bit of knowledge I could get. Watched tons of video and trying to understand the sport so I could get better. Still haven’t let my foot off the gas but it seems less like a rabbit hole these days. At this point, I can’t get enough of the fundamentals I was taught years ago and still need to work on!

• Baller
When I think of the waterski rabbit hole, I think of Adam and Adam building Denali skis. I know little about the details of their work but enough to know their path is the definition of a rabbit hole exploration! Not derogatory in any way, I admire what they are doing and look forward to the things they will discover.

• Members

Larping in Arvin... Somehow that visual is even better that larping in a forest. Remember to stay hydrated this summer.

My skiing rabbit hole stories mostly involve various hard shells and rear binding combinations to improve performance and safety. After all that, I am pretty convinced that an old school rubber front and kicker is the best way to go. So of course, I ski on a double Reflex set up instead.

• Baller
I used to love the old arcade games of the 80's. You would never win, the levels just keep getting harder until you eventually lose. Lots of adrenaline as you play. Course skiing is very similar except you get the added bonus of exercise at the same time. Probably why I'm so addicted to it.