1997 Ski Nautique w/PCM motor

tlarocque

• Baller

I sold a nice 2008 SN 206/ZO boat last year so we could get a "family" boat... 2012 SAN 210. I am just a recreational free skier and I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive second boat that will be good for open water skiing. There is a boat fairly close to me that I am considering checking out. Under 500 hrs and looks clean in photos. Has a PCM motor and a sticker on it that says "Apex Multiport Fuel Injection". I'm not sure what the output or reputation of that motor is. Asking $15k.

Any thoughts about this hull/engine combo?

Thanks.

I have a 98, almost same color. I have the apex with almost 1200 hours and am a pretty big fan. I believe it was the “upgraded” motor over the gt-40, so not as popular. But I know a lot of people like the torque curve of the gt-40.

I have heard it is the predecessor to the Excalibur that came out in like 03, as I believe it has vortec heads. At the end of the day it is a Chevy 350 marinized by PCM, so I think it’s a great motor.

Mine is clean, but maybe not that clean with a single axle trailer that has some rust on it. I’d be asking another 5k in this market. Go get that thing.

• Baller
The Apex engine was rated at 320 hp as opposed to 320 hp for the Ford GT 40 engine. I owned a 1997 SN with a GT 40 and the Apex engine was smoother but was slightly slower out of the hole but had a slightly higher top speed. I think you’d be happy with the Apex. The 97 SN is hard to beat on wake quality.

• Baller
Unfortunately the seller, despite the fact that I told him I'd be up to see the boat in the morning, decided that he wanted to sell it back to the previous owner who is supposed to come down this weekend. Very disingenuous, disappointing, kind of a dick move after having it on the market for 32 weeks and me being in touch with him over the past 2-3 weeks.