Rear Foot Twisting in RTP

Dicedme

Hi all, i am a novice open water skier and have just bought my first ski (Radar Senate Alloy). I only get a couple of skis in a year and have had 3 weekends on the new ski.

I am trying to improve my skiing but the issue i am having is my rear foot (right) turns sideways in the rear toe piece on the offside turn causing me to lose control break at the hips and face plant post crossings the wake. Foot stays planted fine on the onside turn.

All my crashes are identical and all start with my foot twisting on that offside turn.

I want to stick with a RTP as i want to be able to do beachies.

Any tips?

The vector RTP is fairly smooth so i am not sure if i need something to help grip but i assume that is just blaming the tools when it is a technique issue.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

• Baller
I have modified some rtps, not for myself but for friends. I have been using a cut down Wiley’s heel piece, similar result as the Maharajah that @Gloersen has posted. And yes you can put it on most rtps and the vector but you have to remove some couple of inches of footbed. Personally I prefer a classic rubber loop rtp that keeps my foot snug in it, like the D3 leverage rtp and the Wiley’s.probably not as comfortable as the laced Vector but my foot doesn’t move side to side or at least doesn’t move more than what is useful. Also wash your foot and rinse well before going in. This helps me the most when it’s hot.

• Baller

qzjmv2uygfya.jpeg

Took a screenshot, this is a friend that his foot is small and very thin at the same time and also about 2cm shorter due to an accident. His foot could not stayed in without the heel piece. We also inserted a ramp 1.5cm HDPE wedge, between the rear plate and the ski. This helps him stay level on the ski.

• Baller

have you considered, that you are breaking at the waist as the primary problem, and that is pulling you rear heel up? It doesn't happen on your onside turn, because you don't break at the waist on that side.

I suspect, if you sort out your offside turn, your heel shifting problem will go away.

I would suggest that you get a lesson and have them check your set-up.

• Baller
I'm a RTP guy. I use a Radar Boa ARTP and I don't experience this - granted mine is from 2019 and I know they change it recently to a different texture for seeing my friend new ski. Is you foot getting in far enough? Are you putting enough weight on your front foot on your offside turns?

• Baller

Grip it n rip it…. 50mti5pabms3.jpeg

Skateboard grip tape. Skied a ton of sets on mine this summer… it’s great! I own a skateboard shop… if you need some message me and I’ll mail you a chunk….

Thanks all.

It is the rtp without the boa and i have tried tightening as much as possible but that seems to push my foot out even if i start with my foot jammed in.

I feel more movement than i would like with the rear foot at all times when skiing but only slips off on the offside turn. I have never had a problem with the rear foot movement on other skis but i am also probably skiing more aggressively on my new ski.

I know i need to work on my turns but i might try and get some form of grip tape as well as.

Would love to get some coaching, unfortunately that is not available anywhere near me.

Cheers

• Baller

Which way does that foot rotate? Its not uncommon for novice skiers to allow their hips to turn back and face toward the boat on their offside cross, which will naturally cause that back/right foot rotating counter clockwise, and that is a major cause of OTF wipeouts early on (not necessarily the foot rotation, but the overall contortion the body gets into.) ESPECIALLY on your offside you need to get your hips facing in the direction you are moving, and ski is pointed (some coaches promote that on both sides.)

A good snug RTP should be fine with foot jammed in tight, but the radar HRT is a good option and doesn't have to be super tight so it would still allow a beach start.