The top 1%

• Baller

Language is important.

He didn't say he was "the top 1% of waterskiers"

He said I am "in the top 1% on a waterski or barefooting".

So let's look at the math

Let's say 5% of the population of the world waterskis. So if you are the worst waterskier of everybody who waterskis, you are still a better waterskier than 95% of the world and you are in the top 5% of the world in relation to waterskiing.

Barefooting is probably even worse. Probably less than 1% of the world has ever skipped across the water on bare feet. So you can literally be the worst barefooter out there, and still be in the top 1% where barefooting is concerned.

When I listen to how the question is phrased particularly, my understanding of his answer is drastically different than the way you interpreted it. Shoot, maybe my interpretation is wrong...maybe he really does think he is that good...but I don't think so.

• Baller

? Dave.

Waterskiing can seem like the center of the world when we are in it. I bet the number of people in this country who waterski/BF is a good bit less than 1%.

Definition: do it = even defined as minimally active participation at lowest level such as 1x per year getting up on skis.

Not tubing. Not wakeboarding. Not wake surfing.

• Members

@escmanaze

You proposed "5%" of the world population" for how many people water ski (or barefoot). Not for nothing, but that estimate is way too high. 5% of the current world population would be about 395 million skiers. For many years the estimate has been around 60 - 70 million; even with humanity breeding like rabbits, the most it could currently be might be around 80 million (11 million in the US alone).

AND, taking that further, 1% of 80m skiers is 800,000. So it would seem reasonable to say that all "tournament"/ barefoot skiers are in the "top 1%" (unless we believe there's more than 800k of us). But who knows for sure? Once we start to apply math to statistical analysis we're definitely in the world of WAG numbers.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." [benjamin Disraeli]

• Baller
"top 1% on a waterski or barefooting"? I might buy it if he prefaced it with "in his age group or on his lake", but look at all the AWSA skiers who get into short line and more than likely barefoot and probably numerous more who are not members of AWSA. Heck, I am almost 66, still barefoot long line and get into 39 off at 34 mph on a good day , but NO WAY would I claim to be in the top 1%. There are tons of better skiers and footers. Still looking for that "good stock mutual fund" that he claims generates 10% per year too!!