Bindings: is it better to stay in or come out?

drewski16

• Baller

I am an older, open water skier just starting to ski the course. I have always had wileys bindings. Years ago, I hade an OTF fall, back foot came out, front foot stayed in. It broke my foot. Since, my thinking has been I want both feet to come out. I'm not to the level of skier (nor do I have the money) to invest in releasable bindings. My question is: Am I better off stating with the rubber bindings, or switching to something different?

Any input is appreciated.

• Baller_
No single setup can guard against an injury from every type of fall. Most falls are so benign its best to keep both feet in. Keeping it simple, I suggest you stay with something like the Wileys and set them up so they retain your front and back foot equally. At the competition level, the D3 T-factors are basically a traditional rubber binding with a compliant laced outer shell to provide a little lateral support. Wiley full boots front and back adjusted for equal foot retention are a safe choice for older bones and joints.

• Baller_
If I were in your shoes (or binders, as the case may be) with your budget, I’d stick with your front Wiley and get a rear Wiley high wrap. You are more likely to have a both feet in or both feet out fall with that set up.

Lpskier

• Baller
Wileys are a good setup. I had good performance from the setup lpskier suggested, but also a couple one foot out dismounts. Currently on Radar Carbitex with Reflex R-style rear, really good setup IMO. I've had a minor ankle injury in every type of binding I've used. Have used Wiley, Radar Carbitex and Hardshell. It's just the nature of the beast.

• Baller

One comment on in or out of both boots.

RTP skiers are always in only one boot during a fall.

What you should try to avoid in a setup is the risk being out of your front boot and not out of the rear one. Which is also what happens in a front binding pre-release.