Measuring boot position for 2021 and older Carbitex binding.

ski6jones

• Baller

Where on the older Carbitex boots do you measure for front binding position? The goal for this conversation are portable numbers between different binding types, for example where do I measure so I get the same position as a Reflex, D3, Wiley, etc. It doesn't really matter where you measure for relative movements to your own personal setup.

Each of the three options have been suggested to me by someone who should know. The difference between the options listed is +/- 0.25".

Curious about first hand user experience.

• Baller
Radar team has always recommended the bottom stitching as the point of measurement. I assume their recommended (and a majority of other people's) placement are based upon this standard for this type of binding.

• Baller

@ski6jones - Interesting. Their own team has emailed me as per my response in the past. I wonder if they changed this measurement point text due to the 2022 no longer having laces. Then maybe someone didn't think to retain the old text specific to the older bindings.

Bottom line, the boot measurement is one of the first things to personalize when dialing in a ski. So, those stock measurements are all starting points. As a personal skier, it is important to document your preferred settings for you along with your personal method of measurement. As long as you measure the same way, your personal settings will always reflect the same actual position on the ski.

• Baller
What @ToddL said. I think there are too many factors to label one measurement the best one for every boot. To top it off we have different brands of boots on skis. So if you have a D3 ski and they are measuring Tfactor binding I would think that measurement changes if you are mounting a radar binding on a D3 ski. Your own technique may prefer the boot forward or back. The binding itself may be stiffer, softer, or limit movement compared to whatever binding factory is referencing. Mount whatever binding you have as close to factory as possible, go ski, adjust to suit.

• Baller

I understand the stock settings are only a starting point. But as I think about this it matters more than a little how stock setting was measured.

For example, let's say Radar reports stock setting for Vapor using a Carbitex measured as described on their website. When I go slap my Reflex on the same ski and measure it as Reflex recommends I figure I'm as much as 0.5" forward of where Radar recommends.

Sure I can and would try some other binding locations based on what I felt on the ski. However I'm starting a LONG way from where Radar thinks is a good starting point. I'd much rather start where they intended and refine from there.

• Baller

@ski6jones agreed. It would be super helpful if they would state what binding is being measured. That way we as skiers we could compare different brands of bindings and measuring points. Example. Radar recommends vapor boots at 29.5". If you know that reflex has to measure 29" to give you the same position it would take the guess work out of it.

I remember an old thread where several bindings were measured to see where ankle bone was located in different bindings. If my memory is correct the variance was roughly .25". When I get a new ski i throw bindings on at recommended, if moving i move .25" forward or back. You know right away if it was the right direction or if it was too far.

• Baller
Boots are different; bindings are different. I've always gone with where the back of your foot (it's approximate) is. Not where the back of the plastic is. Then you have to adjust from there. I just tried a different ski this morning...two sets, and now have to move forward from what I'm feeling. Ski worked better when i got aggressive and forward on it. It helps to have people in the boat giving you feedback on what it's doing from their perspective too...and good driving too.

• Baller
@ski6jones whoops may have miss spoke. Everyone I’ve talked to at Radar, Brooks, Rini, Bill at Performance all reference the bottom of the boot as the second stitch. Even the first stitch would be splitting hairs. I’m sure I saw it in print but it may have been when they first came out with the Vapor boot.