Do I really need a carbon?

CALM55

I'm retiring my 25 yr old Kidder Redline and am knee deep in ski research. I'm 43 and do 99.9% of my skiing in fairly rough open water, but do have access to a course that I attempt from time to time. I think I've settled on an Omni or Senate Alloy, depending on which one I can find the best deal on. Most posts I've read on here has said to go with the Carbon Omni over the regular, but with the current deals on a 2021 Omni I can get one for $200 cheaper than a Carbon. For maybe only getting out on the water ~20 times a season, is the Carbon really worth how I plan to use it?

• Baller

@CALM55 Both our Carbon Omni and Omni share the same polyurethane core and come from the same mold. The addition of the Carbon makes the ski a bit more reactive and lively which is nice if you are skiing at higher speeds (32-34mph) and making aggressive turns. Carbon Omni also has an adjustable fin which helps you fine tune the ski for your technique. Omni comes with a fixed fin, but you could upgrade it to the adjustable fin at a later time if you wanted to experiment. You really can't go wrong with either one!

Hope this helps!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

Love this post! I’m literally in the same position - retiring my beloved 25 year old Kidder Redline. Would love to have gone down the D3 route, but… $$$$. For what it’s worth, I’m going with the Senate Alloy….

• Baller
The Redline is an old ski, but it was top of the line in its day so why are now looking to buy low-end ski builds? If you can swing it I suggest you try a few different skis before buying, and try the newer/better/more-expensive skis and materials. I grew up skiing on a Redline and loved it. I currently ski a Senate Lithium and have tried a Senate Pro at a demo day and will definitely buy a Pro next time. The materials make a difference.