Anyone heard anything about "InSpace|Stryker" same day Rotator Cuff repair ?

swbca

• Baller_

I have learned that many BOS members have dealt with Rotator Cuff tears.

Approved by FDA July 21, this saline filled balloon is inserted instead of other tissue transplants. Biomechanics restored same day but activity is restricted for 4 weeks. Does not have the same permanent restrictions on use of the shoulder as some other repairs.

My tear is too extreme and retracted be repaired by sewing parts back together. The saline filled balloon is absorbed as it is replaced by scar tissue that is managed with PT to maintain range of motion.

Hoping I will be able to use the new C85 this spring. Ice went out 4 days ago.

• Baller_
@BigGerald3 I am waiting for the Insurance authorization process to run its course. The Surgeon's nurse walks that through their insurance department and says they usually can make it happen with appeals etc. "we do it all the time . . otherwise we will cover it" whatever that means. This is a skiing expense, not a medical necessity at this point, so another surgical option or doing nothing is the backup plan before I spend $25,000 or more out of pocket. I haven't had a chance to establish whether or not I can ski without it being fixed at this point. Our ice went out 1 week ago and 2 surgeons suggest I just go ski to see what happens. Another BOS skier said he skied 3 years with a torn rotator cuff.

• Baller_
@BigGerald3 Made some calls, the Stryker balloon implant is covered except for a small co-pay. With a 30 year layoff from skiing, I am hoping this quick turn-around repair will last until I am out of M9.