Water skier spring 2022

Isenbed

• Baller
@horton having never been a trick skier other than basic surface and mini wake stuff for collegiate points—is the injury incidence super low in trick? With the aerial stuff the great ones do is there not the opportunity to get one’s bell rung?

• Baller
Although young Jake Abelson on the cover is in no danger, the point of your post, @Isenbed, is well taken. The optics are not good. The organization should stand for safety first. It would be wise to include an explanation/disclaimer with the photo credit. During my tenure with AWSA, we sat on the National Safe Boating Council and the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators.

• Administrators

@6balls some of the falls are harder then you would imagine (W5B) but the boat is not going very fast. I think most of the young trickers that you see in vests today are wearing VERY thin vests.

Imagine trying to do gymnastics or diving in a CGA vest.

• Baller

Totally agree, this is a huge problem I see with the water(tow)sports industry. It will take a few people dying before it really changes. At least we don't see boat ads with kids in the bow very often anymore, things are starting to change but it seems like the waterski industry in particular is moving at a snails pace. Ill bet in the next 5 years some sort of vest will be mandatory in trick

• Baller
I don’t know of a single instance in the history of the sport in which a trick skier has died as the result of a trick injury, much less an instance in which the skier was knocked out and sank before the boat could return. That’s the only scenario I can see of a PFD being the saving grace. The good news is that thinner, more flexible vests are now available. In the past there wasn’t an option.

• Baller

@horton I get that like many slalom skiers I haven’t worn a CGA vest in 25 years. I realize it won’t float me face up like a CGA. But I sink like a brick even in the ocean with nothing so at least my crew or a tourney crew wud have a shot at me in a non CGA or a bulky CGA.

Dunno the best answer or history of trick injuries but seems like a non CGA at least? Would this alone be likely to knock down elite scores? My guess is it might. There is a possible struggle there.

• Baller
I can’t speak for the elite, but the issues for me are: (1) bulk, any bulk, around the waist that could interfere with handle passing, wrap position etc. and (2) weight. Neoprene absorbs water and can get pretty heavy. In the spring I can’t wait for warmer weather to get out of my wetsuit, even my skinny Camaro.

• Baller_

@BKistler you stated "optics are not good. The organization should stand for safety first"

I'm sorry, but WTF? Competitive skiing and the "organization" is not about "optics" or "safety first", its about competitive skiing.

I know you are an old codger, but it seems like you need to find a safe space.

Sorry for the rant.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

USA Water Ski is the organizing body for the sport of water skiing in the US. It represents all types of water skiing and has a responsibility to promote safety in the sport at all levels, especially in its publications.

You’ll note that I did not suggest that all trick skiers wear PFDs. I just suggested they explain why trick skiers do not so that skiers like @Isenbed will understand.

• Baller

@lpskier https://www.instagram.com/p/BwvdewphslE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Fun fact, I drove 6 hours to shoot a magazine cover a few years ago and when I submitted the image of the trick skier without a life jacket, I was told the skier had to be photographed with at least a rash guard ? Did another shoot and got the cover but I was pissed ?

• Baller_

@Spencer_Shultz Nice shot! But he wore a life jacket at Drew’s last weekend. He’s not my ski partner, so I sure don’t know what he “usually” does.

I was tournament director for the 2014 Eastern Regionals. The event was on a public lake in a high visibility area, and there were certain locals that opposed having the event. State law requires a life jacket, so I announced well in advance that a life jacket, or something that looked like a life jacket, would have to be worn during trick, in order to avoid giving my opponents something to complain about. The only person that objected was a judge that, as far as i know, hasn’t actually skied in years. The athletes were all fine with it.

Lpskier