Masters Webcast

APB

• Baller

@Horton

I listened to the Trentless DFC, and I would be curious to know what the judge config was.

I don't believe tower judges would ever determine buoy count by looking at the video. Typically they would only judge the gates by looking at the video and judge turn buoys without video (except for review).

If boat video is used for judging, a separate video judge is used. I think the configuration used at the Masters is 1 boat judge, 2 tower judges and 1 video judge. (someone confirms)

In the example of Fred, boat judge calls 6, tower judges call 5. At this time video judge may disagree with he score and decide to review with chief judge and tower judges. If the video is not available or inconclusive, the original majority score of 5 will stand.

One could argue that if you are not sure, the score could be 5, or 6, therefore, why should the judges call 5 because they are not sure the skier went around 6 vs calling 6 because they think it is possible the skier did go around.

My 2 cents (and I am sorry for the video crew), is that for such an event, if you are in the boat holding a camera that will be used to make review calls, point at the freaking skier at all times!

If we used a simple iPhone, we would never be missing a frame.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Did the Master's lose overall due to the inclusion of wakeboarding?

Was the selection process in the past based on invitations due to world ranking/world record holder/world champ/defending Masters champ? Why did it change to this format of 3 qualifying tournaments with fewer automatic invitations?

Jumping distances seemed down a little (for them). Lack of headwind? Weak boat? Site record is 243'. Winning distance below 220'.

Trick scores were outrageously good. It was cool to see Asher get 4 @ 41 too in those rolly conditions.

• Administrators

@rico I agree with your assessment about the configuration. What I stated in the podcast is what I was told. I explicitly asked if the judges were looking at the screen or at the skier and the answer I got was at the screen. Now to be fair that's third hand information. If it turns out to be false I will retract or correct.

Not mentioned in the podcast but also worth mentioning is that if the judges were up above the pavilion, which is where I think they were it is much further to six ball than it would be at your run-of-the-mill tournament ski lake. Point being that even if they were trying to see the skier directly it's not a good view.

• Baller

@Horton , thinking about it, if it turns out the tower judges were judging by looking at the video and not the skier, the pass should have been a re-ride for equipment failure. The same way it would be a re-ride for missing segment time….

What if the camera had been off the whole pass?

• Baller

@rico He should've been psyched he got 5, right?

Seriously, if they needed the camera to make a call and the camera didn't "work", that's definitely equipment failure and he should've gotten a protected re-ride.