towing my Prostar with a 2022 Bronco

Jaypro

• Baller
What is the max tongue weight for the Bronco? Hopefully the ramp is not steep. When the boat weight and tow vehicle weight are in question the boat could drag the Bronco in the water. Also if in a accident the first thing that will be looked at is the tow rating of the vehicle and the weight of what’s being towed.

• Baller

Dry weight of your boat: 3300#

Single axle trailer weight: 1130#

—————————- ———-

Total combined weight: 4430#

Add gas and gear your a 1000# over. If you have a dual axle trailer, that’s even heavier.

If your trailering it 2x a year to launch and retrieve for the season - ask a friend who has a truck to help you.

• Baller

Dude I used to tow an older prostar with a Suzuki Samurai short distances and out of a reasonably steep ramp. An old Pontiac Boni with front drive as well.

That Bronco is ten times the truck that Samurai was—64 hp manual transmission doors and roof made of paper machete. Easy peasy with the Bronco 2 miles.

• Baller
I tow a 1994 Ski Nautique with a Chevy Equinox. Boat and trailer are 3400 pounds, vehicle is rated to tow 3500 pounds. Does the job for the short distances I tow. 1.3 miles to the ramp, and an occasional trip(every 4 years) to Conneaut Lake for service at the marina. (30 miles each way). If I was towing any further than that I would opt up to a Ford Ranger, Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Highlander, or Chevy Traverse. With a small tow vehicle make sure your trailer tires and brakes are in good working order.

• Baller
Somewhat related - Do Bronco owners know the difference between a Bronco and Bronco Sport? Like that they are totally different cars? I'm just curious because it has to be the oddest release of a new car model ever, the public has been totally bamboozled by the Bronco.

• Baller
If a trailer is pulled in the woods and no one knows did it really get towed? Legally is another matter and legal towing is a matter of if you get caught through any collisions, traffic violations, liability issues... you are screwed (not covered and personally liable). If its a full size Bronco I would look again on the door sticker as they are rated 3,340 to 4,500 lbs depending on model. I once took a deep dive into what gives any given vehicle its tow rating; sometimes its mechanical limitations (GCVWR, Engine, Brakes, way hitch mounts...) other times its the manufacturer not wanting to deal with the risk warrantying it, pay the fees, do the testing or product positioning against other models...

• Baller
@Jmoski class III, the factory trailer package. I'm feeling ok about it. I would only need to use it in an emergency situation 2 miles each way. I have a ford Ranger that I tuned with the 5 Star Tuning kit that's my normal rig. That tune was a game changer. 380 lbs. of torque and probably 1000lbs lighter than my V8 F150!

• Baller
You're certainly going to be exceeding the weight rating. But...2 miles and I would assume just 2 miles wouldn't be on major roads? 35mph or so? I wouldn't want to be slamming the brakes at 50+mph. Next concern as mentioned above is the ramp setup. Is the truck heavy enough to get good enough traction pulling the boat out (or keep it from being dragged into water when launching?)

• Baller

@chrislandy - that is off the Mastercraft website that lists the weights for their trailers.

My friend has a 2018 PS so I know the total rig weight is 4500# as it was right at the limit of his Toyota Highlander that he would use if I wasn’t around to use my Tundra.

The trailer under my old 196 was 750# as well, but the 196 is only 2600#. My guess is the PS is just heavy enough where they have to use a 5000# rated axle, that’s in part where the extra weight is coming from.

MC trailers are awesome though - well built.

• Baller

@Jmoski thats probably it, mine is rated for 1400kg load so just over a current prostar but it's an older MC trailer and UK made.

I always wonder about towing in the US, someone did tell me once but I can't remember why it's always so low. I presume the trailers aren't braked, my old ford ranger could tow 8500lb in the UK but only 7500 in the US

• Baller

@chrislandy - in the US the weight at which trailers must have brakes varies from state to state, but most trailers whose total weight (including cargo) that exceeds 3000# have brakes.

How are the max tow capacities set for the tow rig, that I can’t tell you.

• Baller
@Jaypro I think someone mentioned this, but in the event of an accident, your insurance company may leave you high and dry. My MIL has worked in insurance for years and I have heard some pretty awful stories.

• Baller

Not a surprise at all that the Bronco 'matched' the Wrangler towing capacity. You should be fine for that short distance the Bronco is a well built.

Interestingly the Jeep Gladiator "pick up" is rated at 4500lbs

• Baller
Fastguy888 is on target and many truck manufactures did as he states. However, a new standard came out around 2011-12 SAE J2807 to measure vehicles towing and payload equally. It was something like 2015 that all manufactures were required to fallow the standard. New vehicles all fallow SAE J2807 now. As was stated it is all a legal issue.

• Baller

SAE J2807 is an engineering testing standard; manufactures are not required to follow it and compliance is voluntary although most if not all now do.

Engineering standards aside, and considering the design purpose of the Bronco (light offroad fun), I would just assume it is a crappy tow vehicle. But I'd still probably tow a ski boat a few miles with it (slowly) a few times year if I needed to in a pinch. I would certainly not want it as my main tow vehicle (but I tow a lot of miles a year).

Check your actual insurance policy for a "towing over weight" exclusion. I bet you don't find one. If you do, please let me know as I'd be curious to see what it actually says. I have read my policy cover to cover and there is no such exclusion.

• Baller
Great tow rig set up for short hauls----@buechsr I am a huge Jeep (Stellantis) fan but if you trust those tow ratings in real world conditions I have some ski-able swamp land for you! They can totally do it but not the same as driving a RAM F150 or GM variants

• Baller
It's kinda been hinted at, but there is a difference between what is assumed in US vs Europe re: brakes. It's pretty certain that the US tow rating for the Bronco is assuming no brakes, and it is almost certain your trailer has surge brakes. In other words, you'll be fine, especially on a not-too-often, 2 mile journey to the ramp.

Dude just wanted to show everyone that he got a new bronco. He knew before he even posted this silly discussion that his bronc would pull it.

So…..ooooh that is a super awesome bronco. Oh my gosh, you are sooooo lucky to have one.

(Soaking with sarcasm)

• Baller
@Buxrus I can confirm that it does, see post above. It seems odd to me that my question seems to have bothered you so much. It wasn't bragging at all. They are not expensive vehicles. You clearly have more towing experience than I do. Asking a towing question about a boat that is 1500 lbs over max towing capacity seems like a legitimate question to me. enjoy your Bronco, if it is in fact yours, and you can feel good about towing it short distances. enjoy your summer!