Malibu Advice

CHIP1415

I am going to order a new Response TXI and need advice on which engine to get. M5 or M6? The boat will be used for 3 event, slalom and 125 ft. jumping. Just want to be sure it would not be doggy with the M5. Thanks.

• Baller

I'll sound like a whiney-pants here... our club has a 2020 M5 and a short setup, and I admittedly don't love it on the get-ups. We propped down an inch and it still feels sluggish. The HP and torque specs say it should be fine, but I feel otherwise. Maybe it's the 1:1 trans. Once on plane, no complaints, skis and drives fine.

I think the previous boat (2018? 2019?) was a 6.0 and that felt like a rocket to me. I like rocket boats :)

• Baller
The Malibu-Marinized M5 is ridiculously weak for whatever reason. It's full throttle to get a normal sized skier up at normal elevation and floored to get up to 34 before the pre gates. I mean it's unbelievable. I have the same engine in my 200 and it is awesome, I don't know what the difference is between the PCM and Malibu versions technically but I'd never order that engine in a TXI. NFW.

• Baller
@jhughes I have to dissagree some may have issues but ours is just fine even on our short setup on our second lake! we have pulled several tournaments and the shortline skiers thought it felt great! The gear reduction on the 200 def make it stronger out of the hole.

• Baller
@Mastercrafter you are not wrong, that has to be the shortest setup I've ever skied at. I remember at a few ski sites at the morning briefing being told they had a short setup, not even close.

Ernie Schlager