Slalom Course Permitting

Calhoun07

• Baller

Hey Ballers,

I'm thinking about putting a slalom course on a lake in Seminole County Florida. I'm curious about what sort of permitting I would need, if any. It's a small lake with no public access. Has anyone recently gone through permitting a course in Florida that could provide some insight? I'd appreciate any direction on where to start!

Cheers

• Baller

@Calhoun07 I've been wondering the same thing after I looked at a few lakefront homes here in Florida on private lakes without a course. I suspect you may need to inquire with all of your lakefront neighbors and get permission. The state may not even be involved.

You may want to ask John Travers if he has any experience with this. I know he does some work here in the central part of Florida helping folks certify existing courses on private lakes.

We got a course permitted in Orange County, Florida on a lake in Windermere. The biggest obstacle was finding a place to put it that did not touch the water rights/property lines of other lot owners because their property lines went really far out onto the lake. We ended up purchasing the land under the water in the center of the lake to get the permitting. After we applied for the permit, we had to present to the Orange County commissioners. The entire process took about 9 months. Some counties have a more difficult permit process than others. Not sure about Seminole County. I hear Polk County doesn't even have a permitting process or that it's much easier to put a course on a lake there.

• Baller

Yes Polk County does require permitting for slalom courses and jumps. The property under the water that actually has property lines is called riparian rights. The property owner doesn’t actually own this land until the water recedes. So you basically own to the fluctuating water line.

@Calhoun07 your situation on a private lake is somewhat like mine. There is no public access. The problem you will encounter is all it takes is one disgruntled homeowner. If you don’t have a permit you will be made to remove it. If you do have a permit the homeowner will have no recourse unless you really do something dangerous. HOAs have no say in what happens on the lake. I have 4 slalom courses and all are permitted. One thing to remember with you being the future owner of a ski course. Even though you have a permit you are at the mercy of every fishing boat and jet ski. If you really want to start trouble idle up to one of them and ask them to stop or move. Remember YOU have everything to lose. The public doesn’t understand why we ski and nothing about water and wind conditions and they really don’t care!

• Baller
The permit process can be very challenging. You have to be very accurate with water depth, 300 feet from shore every home owner has to agree. Your lot must go into the water which gives you riparian rights as skierjp mentioned. You and google earth will be good friends.