PSA: Log your fin settings!!

o2bnMaine

• Baller

Luckily I had documented my fin settings in May!

I started a freeskiing set in Maine this morning and before I even pulled out for a turn, I hit something hard. It was probably a piece of wood. I can't say for sure if the fin slipped, but I'm fairly certain it did. I had a lot more "smear" on my onside turn than I was used to. The fin depth wasn't what I had documented, so it might have moved a little. The wing angle changed for sure.

I set the fin back to what I had documented to match what I had it set to in May when I got close to a PB. I'm crossing my fingers the fin is back where it has been for the past two months while I've been skiing in Maine. If not, I'll have to start the arduous process of tuning my ski again. :neutral:

• Baller
@S1Pitts ... finDB is the app. I still have it and it works, but I noticed that the database of stock fin settings for Radar only went to 2019. Not sure if there is a way to update that or if there are plans to provide updated settings going forward. I logged in and found my skis and setups still in there.

• Baller

I'm guessing I'm going to use this "opportunity" to come up with new settings. The ski is turning way faster on both sides. Things feel way different.

For now, I'm getting used to how to get in position after a much more aggressive turn. I'm already running my 32-off passes, but things are different. Hopefully, in the long run, different in a good way.

• Baller

I'm 152-155 pounds (5' 10"). I'm using a c75 small. I'm always up for this sort of discourse!! A few weeks ago, someone asked if I was the type of skier who always is adjusting things. I said, "no." My wife laughed, but then she admitted that once I got the fin settings where I liked them, I hadn't changed anything in two years!

Adam Caldwell gave me some settings to try TWO years ago. I'm finally trying them now. They seem close to what I had been using. I'm trying to decide whether I want to change the settings or correct my body position. I think it makes more sense for me to correct my body position, of course, but if the body position issue is exacerbated by the fin settings, then it might be in a circular argument?? Anyway, things are good, but I think something still needs to change.

6.75, 2.477, 0.928, 8-deg flat.

The ski is coming around nicely on both sides, but I get slack on my offside. I am getting plenty wide enough. I know I'm dropping my inside hip too much most of the time, but even when I get it correct I'm still seeing slack on exit.

From a performance standpoint (previous and current settings), I usually get 6 buoys for 4-5 of my 6 passes at 32-off. I'm getting 2 buoys at 35-off as well, which isn't too far from my 4-buoy PB. I know I could do it with better form. Practice Practice Practice!!!

The template idea is a good one. I have plenty of 1/4-in PVC sheets I could use for that!!

• Baller

So I am 165lbs on a medium and record flex my latest setup was:

Front boot at 28.5”

Length: 6.703

DFT: 1.040

Depth: 2.549

Wing: 9.0

Those settings were working really well for me, but I’m going to try another setting here tomorrow. I had a lot of wheelies and slack rope on my offside earlier this season. This setting eliminated that tendency. Ran a 35 at 32mph on it. (Only once though).

• Baller

I'm 28.5 for my front boot, by the way. I don't think I've every tried a 9-degree wing setting!

I'm going to try something different tomorrow. I feel like I have to work too hard with the last fin position. I have been getting 80% of my 32-off passes @34.2mph. I just feel like I can smooth things out.

I'm going to try 6.830, 2.600, 0.849, 7-flat and see how that feels. This will have more length than the last time I tried numbers similar to this. I'm hoping that will correct how much the ski smears. And I may push the fin back to 0.825 again to see how that affects things too.

Looking at my log sheet, I keep moving my fin farther and farther back. I've gone through a progression 1.21, 1.18, 1.15, 1.00, 0.89, 0.90, 0.93, 0.85, 0.825, 0.85. My depth and length numbers haven't changed too much in comparison.

• Baller

I had been at a 1.067 for DFT on mine. Kept moving it back as I was really overturning and doing the pressure relief wheelie after my offside turns. Today I’m going to try a 1.03 DFT.

Since I am on the small end for my ski I wanted to tune the ski so the water was breaking in the front of my front boot, DFT and LE adjustments have really helped. My consistency also increased - though I am nowhere near 80% at my 32’ off passes.

• Baller

I tried my new settings this morning. The ski reared up a lot on my offside, so I moved the fin back a hair. It felt better. Now I feel like I need to ski on it and get back in the groove. One pass, I absolutely nailed it. The spotter thought I was more relaxed than he's seen me since I screwed up my fin. The driver also commented that I was very light on the boat. The other passes were either struggles to get all 6 or I didn't complete the pass.

I ended the morning with the following settings. I may stick with these one more day and see how it goes. I can tell there are tons of things I am not getting right. I need to smooth those out to get a better idea if this is the fin or me.

28.5, 2.600, 6.830, 0.828, 7-Flat

• Baller

I did two sets yesterday. A total of 14 passes if I counted currently. I got 7 complete passes at 32-. I'm blaming my 5-ball count for one pass on wake reflections. They get really bad by the 5th pass.

I'm going to stick with these settings for now, but I'm curious if I should start over with checking my boot placement to see if a totally different setting would be better. ?