Hands hurting on 2nd set

Ski_Dad

• Baller
I've skied a lot this year and all of the sudden this last few weeks my hands will hurt around my palms (but only the 2nd set an hour later) I tried a larger handle last night and it didn't help so I'm guessing it's my gloves. Quick fix for me skiing tomorrow?

• Baller_

It may be that you have allowed your callouses to get too big. If you can pinch your callous when it’s dry and hard and create a ridge, the callous is too big. It may still be too big even if you can’t.

The best thing is to file the callouses down with a pumice stone. Or cut then down with nail clippers or even a razor blade. A friend of mine uses a dremel tool. Whatever. But big callouses create tender hands and eventually may tear, leaving a big open sore on your palm.

Lpskier

• Baller_

Don't Laugh . . . I left my HO Gloves in another person's boat and needed gloves in a hurry.

I stopped at Menards and picked up these Wells Lamont work gloves. Wells Lamont was the original and only manufacturer of water ski gloves for decades when ski gloves first existed . . evolving from their golf gloves.

I have been using this pair for 2 seasons with no callouses and no discomfort. The guy I ski with has sore hands and we both ski the same amount. The glove show no signs of wear.

Maybe not for a power short line skier pulling 800-1000 pounds but maybe good for you . . . . try them in practice

g5x82kfkh48s.png

At $15 This is an example of pricing having nothing to do with the quality or durability of a product. These are far more durable than ski gloves or golf gloves and the double layer fabric seems to avoid the tearing at the skin.

Don't want to encourage buying from Amazon because of their politics but these gloves are not sold everywhere. Even some smaller Menards stores don't have them.

Amazon Link for $15.00

https://www.amazon.com/Fluorescent-Touchscreen-Wells-Lamont-7860XL/dp/B07VMP4WLX/ref=sr_1_3?crid=RDX6ACGID6TT&keywords=fx3+wells+lamont&qid=1661610379&sprefix=fx3+wells+lamont%2Caps%2C105&sr=8-3

• Baller
I’m just skimming this thread so not sure if it was mentioned or not but have you tried glove liners??? Problem solved no blisters and maybe minor callouses but only after tons of sets . Masterline direct or Perfski will have them. Will seriously change your life

• Baller

If there is a noticeable build up then the callouses are too big. Lots of good suggestions about how to trim them down. I use a single edged razor blade, carefully, as needed.

If the callouses are toward your palm rather than on your fingers the I'd say you should work on your grip. Let the handle rest at the first knuckle of your finger. You'll still get callouses but you are less likely to rip your palm.

I've also found that gripping a cold water bottle immediately before skiing can alleviate some hand pain, though not a substitute for managing your callouses wherever they are.