Breaking at waist

Pdvoracek

• Baller_

This recent post on BOS helped me and my ski partners . . .

There are several "phrases" to help avoid breaking at waste.

"Proud Chest" is easier to execute that some of the other phrases and gets the job done.

Watch the video in this post . . it will be worth your time.

https://www.ballofspray.com/how-one-tip-saved-my-back-pain-and-helped-my-position-massively

• Baller
I also struggle with this. The "proud Chest" phrase helps a lot. I think the other thing I've been working on that helps me is to really try and get into a strong "stacked" position early after my turn so that when the load builds I'm in a strong position and don't get pulled over and break at the waist. The other big factor is confidence, the wake at 15off especially slower boat speeds can be a big mental hurdle especially on the offside. Confidence is a big factor. Trust the process.

• Baller

First thing to double check is to check your boots and fin settings. I know it seems silly to blame the gear but so many people have skis with boots in the center hole.

Tried my co-workers ski he tried mine, he turned so easily that he stood up after the turn and let go of the rope. Every turn on his I got broken over. We have essentially the same ski, mine is set up carefully to measurement and his had the boots centered, his were over 1/2" off the factory numbers in the center hole.

Then move on to all those other things but if a ski doesn't move with you it will break you.

• Baller

Your lower body dictates what your upper body does. So think about bending your front ankle so that your knee is over your toes instead of over your heels. You can also think about resisting with your back leg through the edge change. That will stop your hips from dropping back and keep you from breaking at the wastes.

As someone mentioned before, keep your arms relaxed. Think of them as strings with hooks on the end. Their only job is to hang on. Pulling on your arms will definitely make proper alignment a challenge.