Best ski for a beginner

ducati_red916

I am a first time slalom skier, I only recently progressed from 2 skis to 1. I am looking for a ski that I can learn to slalom on with a supportive binding, it needs to be able to absorb wake as I am skiing off of a sterndrive runabout. I am 5’9” 135lb and ski around 30mph. Boat is only 135hp so its relatively slow on the hole shot.

• Baller

I'd say 65" Radar Senate; Radar Vector binding with rear tow plate. "Absorbing wake" is going to be a function of body position more than the ski.

A Radar Union or HO Omni might be easier at first because they are wider skis but I still think the Senate would be the way to go and will leave you with a little more room to improve. Maybe just a bigger (67") Senate.

Sounds good, after looking at a couple of youtube videos, I was wondering about the senate myself. Good to hear it from someone other that random guy on yt though, is there a reason you suggest tow plate over a double boot? Im just trying to get more information so I can make a better educated decision.

• Baller

I've run double boots forever but the majority of the pros and up and coming kids seem to be running rtp or some hybrid variation. I may even switch to RTP next year if I can stomach the change. Supposedly its easier to get taller on the ski and maybe easier on your back.

Here's a thread. Google will yield lots of debate between RTP and Doubles.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/17292/double-bindings-versus-rear-toe-plate

But bottom line it is personal preference.

• Baller

@

ducati_red916

, if that Connelly Concept is not too old, then it could be a good ski if you're working on a tight budget. If it's getting up there in age then you'd be missing out on a lot of advancements that have been made. I agree that the Radar Senate and Connelly V are both excellent choices. As a longtime open water skier, I got into skiing the course only in the last few years. The Connelly V (non-carbon) was an excellent choice for me at that time. It's more forgiving, holds an edge well, and is pretty affordable, especially if you find a used one. Good luck.