Determining correct ski size

dbarbe

I have skied on a 66" O'Brien Siege for about 5 years. I'd like to move up to a Radar Senate (tried friend's, great ski). Is 67" the right length for me at 5' 8" 165 lbs? Is a 65" too short? Should I find a different comparable 66" ski? 66" has felt right to me on my old ski.

• Baller
You probably won't go wrong either way. Other factors are age (how soon may you consider dropping speed,) course or open water skiing ? How much does your weight fluctuate (sometimes I'm about your weight....sometimes I need to drop 10 pounds or so....) 34mph course skiing the 66 might be a good choice.

• Baller

I wish the charts were a bit better with different speeds. If you look at the Radar charts the sizing for a Vapor assumes you're going 36, the senate assumes you're going 34 and so on. So you have to blend your weight, type of skiing, and boat speed to the chart and then use prior experience to add into it.

If you've been happy on a 66" siege you might want to see if you can try a 66" vapor, the senate of course doesn't come in every length, the vapor does.

What size senate did your buddy have and which year/length was it?

• Baller

I’m 5’7” and fluctuate between 165-175. I’m on a 66 Vapor and a 65 Senate Lithium (2022 barely used and for sale by the way?). I’ve skied the 67 Senates as well. I guess if I spent the time setting the fin it would act like a shorter ski. The 67 just felt very large for me. I could ski it well but didn’t spend much time on it before I sold it. I’m on the top of the 65 for my weight but I can rip on that thing. If your running some 32’s but mostly 34 mph it would word fine. If you go with 67 just spend the time to set it up correctly. Push up DFT about .02 to .03 . The 67 might be less effort if you get it dialed in but honestly the 65 rips too! We’re about the height/weight. Seems the last few Radar 67s I’ve tried measured about 67 1/2 so felt big for me. Anyway your mileage may vary.

Hit me up if have any interest in a basically new Senate Lithium . Might have some bindings as well

• Baller
For a little counterpoint, by boy is 135 lbs. and skis on a 66" Vapor Pro. He opens at -22/28 mph and skis into -22/36mph. He is money on that ski and has no problem turning it. I have a hard time thinking a dialed in 67" ski is too big for a 165 pound open water skier who skis slower in the course. Although it really is a matter of preference, though, so YMMV.

• Baller
This has all been really helpful. I think I am going to try a few more runs on my friend's 67" and see how feels. If it seems too big, I will see if I can get on a 65" or a 66" Vapor (or any other 66"s anyone can recommend!) Truly appreciate all the feedback!