The 6.0 engine is a dud!

lhoover

• Baller

Have any of you heard this before? I'm not kidding when I say it is the talk of the boat folks here in Houston. And you know how "they" are! They say don't even entertain the idea of getting a used boat with a 6 in it because of this or that trouble. I've heard oil pressure troubles, oil pump failures, no power, torque is weak in the 34mph to 36mph power band, runs way too hot, etc.

Beware!

Has anyone else heard these comments or aware of this reputation? How can this be when the 6 seems to be the repower of choice from what I've read here? Are we all crazy down here in drought ridden, hotterenhell S Texas?

• Baller

" Are we all crazy down here"

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, laughable justification of cheapasses who don't want to spend the money.

We've got a 2019 200 with the 6.0L and right at 350 hours. It's been the best combination of engine to hull to zero off, I've ever owned. (~8 nautiques and 2 mastercrafts). Skis better then any 200 we've ever had. Very nice lean-reward-release torque curve.

The 200 with the 6.0 is probably one of the better setups with the torque curve matching the hull drag. All the "issues" you mention above, personally never heard of those issues in south Florida or even other areas. Nautique swapped out our fuse box but that's it. Meanwhile, most folks in south Florida are looking for the 6.0 not avoiding it.

Aren't you the guys who complained about the gas inlet nozzle on like 6-8 boats of various years and said they all "sucked" but yet nobody else had the problem and the constant was ya'll and your methods?

• Like 1

• Baller

Come on Shelby, you lived here and know how the ungodly, never relenting heat adversely affects everything! Yes, I did complain, and still do, about the gas tank access in Nautiques, though you gave me no credit for saying the MCs and Malibus got my stamp of satisfaction.

But I kid thee not on this 6 defamation and warms my heart to hear it just ain't so... in Florida, at least!

• Baller_

I have over 1100 hrs on my 6.0 and it runs like a top with zero issues. Some of the early 5.3 and 6.2 did have issues, but I have NEVER heard of anything with the 6.0l.

The 6.0 has significantly more power than the 5.7, particularly in the SN200. You should obviously tell "they" that they are full of it.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

@lhoover I can't even form a sarcastic comeback. I have no idea what you're talking about. At least in the case of the ProStar or the 200 the 6L is absolutely rock solid. It's no hotter in Houston than down in Bakersfield.

To be fair every boat model and engine configuration has had some flaw. You can point to any new model of boat and say "oh remember when that thing did that stupid thing". Malibu, MasterCraft, & Nautique have all had that one model year where the sensor or valve or thermostat or something was an issue and the boat manufacturer figured it out and sent out upgrades. So yes there's always something but to say that the six liter sucks is preposterous.

• Administrators
I'll go a step further and say that in the case of the 6.2 - unless you are at high altitude or professional jumper it's a massive waste of money. I want one because they're cool but I would never order one in a boat that I owned.

• Baller

Are you keeping the intake air cool enough? I know for a few years the Malibu TXi with the Crusader 6.0L would de-rate power when the intake temps were too high. Many folks solved that with extra blowers to excavate hot air from under the doghouse. Fixing that problem turned a boat that people thought was a lazy pooch into a scalded cat.

How's it work on a 70f morning?

• Baller

@Cent we are up to 833 on our 6L CP nothing but annual fluid and filter changes. Fires up easy and everyone agrees... sounds great!

@Bdecker with the our newest family member bitten by the "Buoy Bug" we may be catching up to your hours sooner than later!cwnncqkdoju5.png

• Baller

Thanks for setting the record straight, folks, and for you Ballers weak in reading capacity, never did I say "we', but "they"! Could not believe what I was hearing but a group looking to step up dismissed 3 used boats specifically because of the engine description being a 6. Thus started my incredulous response of you must be kidding! Are GM and PCM aware of these "problems" and doing nothing?

But I see it was the heat, or the lack of rain, or the Air Conditioner fumes that have clouded "their" thinking as there are plenty of satisfied 6 engine owners and no specific gripes. Many thanks, and best to all.