Trick ski for beginner

george

• Baller

Looking to get my first trick ski. Can anybody point me to resources such as a review or a buying guide, or recommend what I should be looking for?

I waterski about 10 times per year, and the idea is to get one trick set each time I am out. The last time I trick skied--about 10 years ago, I could get up, cross the wakes, and spin.

Also if anyone is selling a good but cheap 43" trick ski, please let me know.

• Baller
Radar makes a 43" (Graviton) on the cheaper end of the new trick skis; You can also get the new Joel Poland Alien graphics for the same price. Call Wileys and see if they have any trick skis laying around you might get lucky on a used one or left over or maybe check ski it again.

• Baller

I'll disagree with Bruce on this one. The modern skis are designed differently (better!). Also the larger sizes are more popular in modern skis so you might find a used late model ski in your size. I've noticed that the learning curve on the current skis is much better. The falls are less common and easier on your body. There is a reason everybody is on a modern ski at Nationals.

D3 Custom X or Aria, Quantum, Radar (latest generation Joel Poland), KD (latest generation Pato Font), or Goode are all great choices. The oversize Goode is a very different ski which makes the basics easy. Of course, you could pull the fins off a wakeboard and simulate trick skiing on that for some fun.

With how much boats, gas and skiing in general cost nowadays, a couple bucks extra on the right ski is worth it.

Eric

• Baller

One more thought. Play on the ski! Go out two at a time and have spray wars. Screw around jumping the wake with flair. Do some silly ballet. Slash surf cuts. Just drilling backs and fronts gets old. Certainly play with the drills but make sure the whole ride is fun.

Eric

• Baller_

if you are going to ride it a few times a year.

find a old kidder or Connelly hp trick.

spending the money on a newer ski for what you plan is pouring money into a hole.

I have about $1k into my trick and can only call my self a trick rider. to ski it takes commitment and dedication.

• Baller

Thank you all!! That's great information! I'll be keeping my eyes on SIA as well as any deals on new ones at the end of the season (though I sense there aren't many closeouts on trick skis - is this accurate?)

About the front binding, do I need a trick-specific binding, or are they the same as for slalom skis?

• Baller

D3 usually has a sale at Xmas time. I can't recall the discount (probably 10 or 15% which is not insignificant with a list price of $700). I bought my daughter's trick ski through that sale.

I don't think they charge shipping either, which the used seller usually will do.

If you don't have the money, you don't have the money - used or borrowed it is.

My thought was modern trick skis hold value very well. So, if she hated it, sell the ski and only out maybe a couple hundred bucks. If she likes it, then got it right the first time, and money well spent. Else, I could have spent way too much time looking for a used ski. If she hated it, I'd still be selling the ski, and she'd be experimenting and making that decision based upon old equipment. If she loved it, I'd still end up buying a new ski, and would be out more cash than if I just bought new in the first place. FWIW.

• Baller

@george. I've received notices for sales on trick skis both D3 and Masterline/Quantum Trick Skis are having holiday sales. Have not looked, but I would guess that Radar and some of the distributors like Perfski or Wiley's are probably having sales as well. FWIW