Perfect Pass Display Issue

Sethro

• Baller

I think my 3.5" Perfect Pass multi-line display is starting to die. The last two times out the display fails to show anything for a while, but eventually comes to life after 10-15 minutes and works just fine. I absolutely don't want to upgrade to GPS Stargazer, as a huge portion of my Perfect Pass use is pulling finicky trick skiers on a river with a variable current. That appears to be my only option direct from Perfect Pass. My paddle wheel system is by far the boat of choice over the rest of the crew and their zero off and Perfect Pass Stargazer systems for this purpose.

Before I start tinkering with the display too much, is there anyone out there that has an old 3.5" multi-line working display they'd like to sell from a previous upgrade? I know I'm the minority that doesn't want a GPS system, so there are probably quite a few displays out there collecting dust after upgrades. Worst case scenario I could go back to my single line display and previous software I suppose. Anyone else have this issue and come up with a fix? I intend to call Perfect Pass for any ideas, but their website is pretty clear the paddle wheel input system is no longer supported.

• Baller

you can run classic rpm cruise with the stargazer system, at least for slalom. stargazer sets all your baselines so I'm assuming it uses those rpm values for the classic pull. I don't know if it works for tricks specifically, or rather if it let's you go that slow.

I use RPM mode on PPSG often for barefooting.

• Baller

@Killer that would be by far the worst thing you could do for a trick skier.

We can define speed in two ways, speed over ground and speed over water.

If you were to be standing on the bank and you had a boat with stargazer or zero off and it is going upriver at 36mph or downriver at 36 mph to the guy standing on the bank that boat is going exactly the same speed because relative to the ground GPS is telling the boat how fast it is going. So from ball to ball and gate to gate it is the same up and down stream.

But if you had a Pitot tube speedo or a paddlewheel speedo up vs. down stream is going to show up very different. Say its a 2mph current upstream is going to say 38 and downstream is going to say 34 mph on that gauge.

In slalom skiing you'd just have to suck that up because the time between each turn ball is going to be fine with GPS but the engine is going a lot more RPM up river than it is down river in that current.

And it gets worse for tricking because more or less your slalom course defines where in the river current you are every pass but if you trick and you find better water for wind or whatever you'll find the current is faster or slower around bends and in different depths in the river. So if you're on GPS speedo the wakes will change and the water firmness will be constantly changing.

Barefoot sort of fixes that problem with just go as fast as you need to!

• Baller