Repower 1996 MC PS 190 for Zero Off

Maxsend

• Baller

I'm curious if anyone has repowered a 1996 Mastercraft Pro Star 190? The end goal is Zero Off.

The existing LT1 Corvette engine is great, but the pull with perfect pass is so different than ZO that I'm willing to replace the entire engine. The GOAT Doug Moss recently did a repower on my 2002 SN 196, and the end result is amazing. The 6 liter is incredible. So, I'm now thinking about doing the same for my '96 Mastercraft.

Secondly, do y'all know a mechanic in the midwest (MN) that could do the repower? Thx Ballers

• Baller

I've shoved a Ilmor 5.7 into a 1991, kind of the same difference. Fun boat and skis pretty well.

I think your best bet is to use a PCM non-cat powerplant as it'll package easier than an Ilmor, and doesn't need an $800 fuel pump and $800 throttle/shift control on top of the engine.

Happy to help if I can. I could even do the work if you want to trailer to MI.

I can also save you all the hassle and sell you the repowered 1991 :)

Also curious why even repower the 1996.. did you sell the 2002 196? I would think that’s a much better slalom tug.

vcoz5cnqxoz8.jpg

• Baller

@Mastercrafter thx for the info. I'll DM you to discuss further.

We use the 2002 SN 196 here in California. The MC PS 190 is at our cabin in northern MN. Where in MN for a couple weeks a year, but not having ZO messes us up. It's good for my ego, but not my tournament scores.

• Baller

@Maxsend what version of PerfectPass is on that MC? A V9.x Stargazer with ZBox is WAAY cheaper than a repower and does a nice job of emulating ZO. This spring I skied a ZO 196 and a PP Zbox 196 back to back about an hour apart and couldn't really discern a difference at 34 MPH, 22 and 28 off, and I'm a big dude, so I feel ZO more than most.

Might be worth a try. If you don't like it, sell it on SIA. People are always looking for those things.

• Baller

@Maxsend if you only use the boat a couple of weeks out of the year, do what @UWSkier is suggesting.It’s easy to knock stargazer with the z box because “it’s not ZO.” I totally get that.I skied only ZO from 2014-2020 and for the last 2 seasons I’ve only been skiing stargazer with Zbox aside from tournaments. Only time I can really feel a difference is 38off. Zbox is just slower to react than ZO at 36mph at that rope length.

• Baller

@Spencer_Shultz slight thread hijack, but have you played with the KX setting on that PP boat? If I put my KX to ++ I find it's too reactive. I leave mine on + all the time and like the feel, but I'm not at 38 off and I aged out of 36 MPH a few years ago.

• Baller

@UWSkier I have not! Maybe I need to try. If anything, the entire system has taught me patience. I’ve really learned to slow down my finish at the turn because if I finish to fast, I’m left with nothing but slack.This was my first full 35 with stargazer Zbox and I’m really proud of how patient I was out of 1 and 2 ball.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfX1HnWqPqW/?igshid=ZDU1ZDhlY2E=

• Baller

Thx @D3dude that's super helpful. I have noticed a big difference in the tracking of '96 MC vs newer tugs. Which explains why my daughter clips so many boat path buoys.

@UWStoutSkier I'll have to dig into this. Could save me a lot of $$. PP is overly complicated, vs. ZO just works.