Hurricane Ian

Cooper_Trelawney

• Baller

Some of the photos and videos coming out are just nuts.

I didn't realize there was anywhere in Ft Meyers high enough to avoid the surge, but I guess our friends' place missed the flooding. They did lose the screen over their pool, but compared to what some have lost, they're counting themselves extremely lucky.

• Baller_

right now 2 million plus without power.Fort Myers basically washed away.I have communicated with numerous people down there so far so good. Dr. Morgan said it looked like a bomb went off in the Tampa area.he said Polk county got hit hard.Orlando and east is inundated with water .looks like The storm could reform as it goes back over water and is targeting savanna Georgia and South Carolina..going to be a long haul for those folks in South and Central Florida. I think the rule of thumb is one year of recovery for every category of hurricane. we here in bay county are still fixing and repairing from Michael a cat 5 four years ago.we still have a very large amount of dead fall and brush. with Ian South of us we had 20 mph wind out of the north. some fool across the highway decided a fire was in order....we were the closest body of water to dip from.7e331dnieeoa.jpg

• Baller

We have a winter home in Ft Myers about 5 miles from the beach. From sketchy info (no power or cell service in most areas) our community had flooding in every home. So many trees and utility poles down that travel is near impossible. Most all service vehicles were flooded, so recovery will be slow.

• Baller

@BKistler our lake over here in Winter Haven (Spirit Lake) is 2 feet below what it was in 2005. Our lake has no run in so if it rains 1 inch the lake raises 1 inch. We loose on average 1 inch a week. Our dock was under water for over a year. At the highest it was almost waist deep. The water right now is just a few inches above the dock. This will be the second time water has been over our dock in 22 years.

• Baller

@skierjp Just drove past Spirit Lake 20 minutes ago. Funny how some traffic lights are not operating and others are. I’m seeing spotty light damage. No major flooding. Things would have been different if we got the 16-20 inches of rain predicted. I guess we got something like 11”.

• Baller

@Wishnice job, how did you drive the 4x posts into the ground and how far down do they go?

We have a similar set up and also need more-replacement posts.  

AND we have a pair of Sandhill cranes there hang out and nest  in the neighborhood every year, if you meet them on the boardwalk they usually turn around and walk all the back at a leisurely pace instead of flying or hopping off the sides! ERRR "hurry up bird can't you see the lake the is glass"

• Like 2

• Baller_

@RAWSki our lake is low now. We normally have water almost to the end of the dock closest to the house. So what you do for that situation is jet a hole in the ground with with a long 1.5” pipe using a centrifugal water pump (trash pump) and you jet the poles in. They are 3-4’ below ground sitting on hard pan (soil that’s very hard to even jet through). Each post has a cleat along the bottom edge to prevent the post from heaving up during flood stage and wave action slamming up the decking. So basically I made it so it will NEVER happen again LOL. 

Our cranes have been with us for 25yrs. One has a scare on its leg so we know it’s been the same pare all along. They have had multiple babies over the years and we can hand feed the adults.