Yikes! An old timey throttle cable on a ZO Boat!

lhoover

• Baller

Greetings, Ballers, a few points and some questions. Some buddies just bought a 2009 SN196, the 6.0 engine, and I'll be darned if it doesn't have a throttle cable rather than DBW. Silly me thought one could not have ZO without DBW. It is immediately noticeable as a bit resistant, a tad stiff, and a long throw from engage to acceleration. It's doable, but certainly not even close to another local boat, a 2009 MCPS 197. It's pure butter.

So... would you replace the current throttle cable or live with it? How about converting to DBW? Anyone know the cost? Any magic men who do such conversions in the Houston area? Nice boat, but was expecting so much more after being spoiled by true DBW boats.

• Baller_

36j3hr89jjfa.jpgred 196? just purchased from me last week? if so yes thats a dbw setup. even has the updated livorsi peddle position switch.it does have a more positive feel then that of a electronic throttle like what nautique now utilizes. many a rated drivers and high end skiers have driven that boat in the last couple years , I never got that type off feed back on the boat.

• Baller

My old ZO 79 American Skier [a way better boat than an old 196] also has a throttle cable. The conversion was no problem as the DBW unit is mounted on the engine. My ZO engine was out of an old SN200. I actually broke the DBW unit fitting the engine cover and salvaged a backup off another similar engine instead of $125 [at the time] for a new one. The cable doesn't move once ZO is engaged so a new cable might not be necessary as long as the old one is safe.

My 2011 Prostar197 [awesome boat!] has the DBW at the driver's throttle. It was interesting when something went wrong and the throttle got really loose. Scary! A quick cleaning and tightening of the screws solved that. Do inspect and maintain your boats. DBW in the throttle has its issues as well. Either works well as designed.

Eric

• Baller

@Kelvin is correct. Correct Craft’s DBW on those boats is a cable running from the hand control to the engine where it connects to the DBW potentiometer. I ski 2 boats using that same system. Long throttle throw is not something I’ve really noticed in either. In my 2014 Prostar, I had to sling the throttle to the floor when pulling up a skier.If the cable is stiff or the throw is longer than you like, replace it. It might help. Might not. You may just need to get used to it

• Baller

Be careful what you wish for. The Nautiques where the DBW pedal position sensor is in the handle assembly are notorious for that Throttle Base Assembly to fail often. And at $750 a pop it's way more expensive than having to replace a PPS on the top of the engine. Personally, I prefer the feel of the older Nautique setup with the PPS on the top of the engine and a throttle cable.

• Baller_

@lhooverthat boat has a teleflex cam style control. changing the cable will make no difference, taking the control loose from the gunnel and put a dab of grease on in the cam follower and channel as well as the brass cable pivot should take care of what you perceive as stiff.if you want less travel on the control arm for acceleration move the ball and socket down one hole on the potentiometer arm.dont confuse electronic helm controls withmechanical controls it convolutes theconversation, apple's to oranges.also if you have never had one of those controlsapart you can pm me i will send you my phonenumber and I can talk you through it. its only about a 15 min job.

• Baller_

@thager I agree. the failure rate on thos livorsi controls is pretty high. there is a mechanical aspect to them that keeps them from just dropping to wot. I seen that aspect fail in one of those a couple years ago. driver absolutely could not take their hand off the throttle while under way or it would go to wide open throttle.