Turnaround Islands or No Turnaround Islands

Central WI Skier

• Baller

As stated I think it always depends on how much layout you're working with, but if I were to do it I'd do no turn island even though I think they look great if done right.  

Rationale for me is for tournaments that adds time to every skier to circle the island instead of shooting straight into the course.  I ski at a site with a pretty short setup on one end and we have plenty of short line 36 mph skiers who have time to get up and ready (helps having that 6.0L MC)

• Like 1

• Baller

As a coach, when you are in boat all day with turning islands, on short lake,  it is very hard not to be sick with the centrifuge force on the observer seat. Best place is on the driver seat, inside of the curve. So if i can choose no turning island for me. More fun to ski, but off course your lake need to be long enough...

• Baller

I don’t hold a particularly strong opinion either way. Our lake is 2300’ long and has no islands but every other lake I ski on has them. I like clockwise turns and I like counterclockwise turns. I actually prefer the counterclockwise turns. If I was to build a lake, it would have doglegs and no turn islands. My ideal lake would be ski view estates - minus the islands.

70269AB7-5449-4DEA-AA55-C2C249D6166A.png