I am sure this is fun but seriously ....

Horton

• Baller

There are a lot of reasons why people like surfing.  And there are lots of reasons to not like it.  Although I am a novice at surfing (wake or real) I would much prefer to do it at the beach rather then behind a boat.  I think the best way to sum it up is that I'm not inspired by wake surfing in the least.  3 event skiing, surfing in the ocean...that is inspiring.

• Like 3

• Administrators

If I was super rich and could have a surf boat I would have one. It looks fun.

My point is surfing as a IWWF event in Abu Dhabi makes as much sense as tubing naked behind a blow flatbottom.

• Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Deal with it all the time. That's the problem with living on a large lake like Lanier. The small cove the course is in a haven for surfers to head too. We have seen many start surfing it up while someone is in the middle of the course. Yeah, 💩head...Don't worry about the 3 competition ski boats waiting on their turn for a set.  It's not like you have 38,000 acres of lake to surf on but you insist on doing it in skier cove. Downfall of living on a public lake. We make it work however by raising the course on Sun night and lowering it on Fri morning. The guys that work from home start their day with a set and go to work. Since I don't have that luxury I have to wait until I get home and keep my fingers crossed that someone isn't surfing it up. 

There is a positive to it.... One of my neighbors who surfs all the time (not in the cove) wanted to go with us for a set. He thought it looked cool and wanted to try it. When he got back in the boat after attempting to round just a single ball........ he was hooked. Man that was FUN! Bought a slalom for Christmas and wants to start skiing with us.

I've surfed several times and after about 15 mins. I'm bored! ..Yo man... you're up. Nahhhhh I'm good. It's boring, you go ahead.

• Baller

Wake surfed for the first timewhile in south Fl. last week.

10 people on the boat average age was 60 classic rock blasting on the speakers.

I can def see the appeal of it if you were on a big lake.

it was fun hold my beer and watch this experience!

• Baller

Surfing is for passing the time between slalom sets. And for when you have friends visiting that aren't into more serious water sports. What we really enjoy about surfing with a boat full of people, is that it's very social. The surfer is close enough that they can communicate with people in the boat. 

Our lake house is on a very large lake that's not near any cities with significant population. The slalom course is in the back of a very long twisty cove in shallow water. Everyone surfs out in the deeper part of the cove and then everyone comes and rafts up near the slalom course to watch people ski. We don't have any conflict to speak up between the slalom skiing and the surfers, wake-boarders, and tubers. To get a good wave for surfing, you need deep water. So anybody that knows what they're doing, knows better than to try surfing in the shallower parts of the cove.

Maybe we're the exception, but most people on our lake actually do seem to know what they're doing. It also helps that it's a very friendly community and everyone makes a real effort to meet most of the other boaters on the lake. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Wake foiling. There is more to do, you can go from wake to wake, left right, and back to second wakes, and third. Plus add up and down. Great for balance. And can do it behind a tournament boat and save $150K

• Baller

It's a beer drinking sport after hard skiing on the glass--most who do it just happy to stand up back there rope-less behind their $300K barge.  At that time I'm happy to throw cornhole on the beach

The appeal is virtually anyone can do it, and on my first try I could do everything seen except for the spinning of the board which I'm sure took a zillion falls which would make it tedious as hell to be a part of in the boat or as a driver.  Geez I could never even pull trick (keep in mind not all-star skiers) cuz it was nothing but hole shots, slow speeds, and falls working on the next trick.  Bleuch.

I feel the need...the need for speed.  

• Like 3