What is the best product to remove gel coat oxidation?

BGrow76

• Baller

Used together with a rotary polisher, the two products below work great for light oxidation. The compound has wax in it as well for a one-pass polish. I do this most every spring... then admittedly follow up with more wax... because OCD. 

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-36106-Gelcoat-Compound-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B01MXYXEL3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=11ALR96ZZLIWK&keywords=3m%2Bmedium%2Bwith%2Bwax&qid=1682007116&sprefix=3m%2Bmedium%2Bwith%2Bwax%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05713-Wool-Polishing-Pad/dp/B000YOMXFW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2MA7XXOZJWK43&keywords=3m+yellow+wool&qid=1682007137&sprefix=3m+yellow+wool%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3

Edited by Mastercrafter
  • Like 2

• Baller

Start with a good wash, followed by a clay bar, a high speed polisher with medium cut polish, a fine cut polish, and then a glaze. wax to finish.  I usually use a wool pad to start as it will remove material relatively quick so be careful and keep the polisher moving so as to not stay in one spot.  Switch to a foam pad to bring the shine back up. 

If it is heavily oxidized you may want to start with some 1000 grit  wet sandpaper to sand off the oxidation.  finish sanding with 1500 and 2000 grit and then buff to a shine just as noted above. Be careful sanding and polishing in that you do not remove too much material and sand thru the gelcoat completely.

I personally use either 3M or Maguiars products.

• Like 3

• Baller

For heavier oxidation, start with these two products, then finish with the products I listed above. 

Once you do a bit, you'll develop a "recipe" for what works best for you, your boat, and your material selection. Overall, I've been happy with the 3M products for compound, polish, and wax. 

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-36102-Gelcoat-Compound-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B01MU1C9DW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2UVS6KENV0V73&keywords=3m%2Bmarine%2Bheavy%2Bduty&qid=1682007299&sprefix=3m%2Bmarine%2Bheavy%2Bdut%2Caps%2C110&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/3M-05753-Perfect-Wool-Compounding/dp/B003I3Q0UK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1ZT6VRRZ9SRZT&keywords=3m%2Bwool%2Bpad&qid=1682007281&sprefix=3m%2Bwool%2Bpad%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-5&th=1

Edited by Mastercrafter
  • Like 1

• Baller

Do not consider any form of sanding until after attempts to resolve any oxidation via compounds first. It is extremely rare that a ski boat would boat would need to be wet sanded to restore a finish unless it was abandoned in a Florida mangrove for 10+ years. 99% of ski boats that have a bit of oxidation are easily remedied.  

IMO - The best answer to this question is process not product. Any modern compound will be effective and there are dozens . Expensive also is not always better . Back on point, the process is what makes the difference. Applied correctly with powered polisher/buffing machines is what creates the result. Each Spring I pull the boat off the lift for a few days for the annual fluff & buff and lightly compound and then polish mainly using a 7" pad on variable speed buffer.  I've been as pleased with inexpensive compounds like turtle wax vs higher ends like Meguires & 3M at least for compounds. I love Meguires for wax. But again the main answer here is process. You also don't need to spend a fortune on the machine(s), get variable speed of course, but you're not going to wear it out on your boat. Buffing pads and foam application pads are all washable.  It's work but really fun as you love the result.    Go ski...........................          

• Like 5

• Baller

I'll add, rotary and wool pads for tough jobs, gear driven mechanical and wool pads and then foam for most other jobs and finishing, random orbital and foam pads for fine polishing.    If I had one tool to use for a boat it would be a gear driven orbital like Rupes Mille or Flex XC 3401.  

• Like 1

• Baller

I have done as @jjackkrash mentioned above.  RO polisher and something like Mothers or Meguires polishing wax for light oxidation.  If that isn't enough start with a rotary polisher, wool pad, and a medium cut compound wax followed by a light polishing wax as stated above.  3M has a whole line of these as do others.  

Edited by fu_man
  • Like 1

• Baller

Detailing product-opinions are like...you know what.  

Gelcoat color has a tremendous effect on the best product-selection, in my opinion, but you've gotten great suggestions.  I'd only add that a great mid-season spruce up is collinite's marine cleaner wax.  If time, of course follow it up with a proper coat of wax but the cleaner wax is a great combination of enough cleaner and wax to both do the job and provide decent protection mid season.

For what its worth, I just graphene ceramic coated my boat after prepping with 3M finesse-it II.  Curious as to how it wears this year.  Have had great results with ceramic on my cars.

• Like 1