2017 Malibu VTX Slalom Wake?

LL778

Hi All - I currently have a 2008 185 Searay Sport that my family (wife, 9 yo, 7 yo) have been using to cruise and  ski but I am now contemplating "upgrading" to a 2017 VTX 20 for two reasons -  1. More space for guests / better seating and 2. Better slalom ski wakes.  The VTX definitely has a superior layout and more space so it checks that box but I am reading very mixed reviews on the slalom wake.  We are open water recreational lake skiers, better than average but run pretty slow. my wife and I are 29-31mph, 15-22 off and the kids are more in the mid 20's.  Please comment if you have any experience behind the VTX and in particular the 2017.  I hear there was a redesign for years 2016-18 that somehow was detrimental to the ski wake but i have no idea if thats true.  The last thing i want to do is spend a bunch of $$ and find out this boat doesn't ski any better than my SeaRay I paid 16k for.   thanks!!

• Baller

I've heard the same thing about the slalom wake starting at 2016.   I would think the wakes would be better than your current boat 30 mph - i think below that it will be sketchy.   I know the some models had the diamond hull option which I would recommend.   I don't think a lot of folks on this site will know 1st hand how the wake is but you could also hit up the Malibu crew website.

I would ski anything before you buy it and don't be afraid to go to an older VTX if it will meet your needs.

Thanks Ski_Dad. I’ve been trying to stick to sub 200 hours for used and not older than 2016. Should I be more flexible? My concerns are the obvious longevity and maintenance $$$. One of the managers at our marina once told me all bets are off after 500 hours. 

• Baller

That marina manager just wants to sell more new boats. True, the majority of regular boats with 500 hours or more are probably over 20 years old and many poorly cared for. Inboard ski boats cared for properly will easily last 2000 hours or more. Think of it like this. 200 hours is like 20,000 miles on a car.

• Baller

I ski boats all the time with a lot more that 500 hours, my 2003 Malibu included.  

This 2001 Sunsetter VLX is a unicorn v drive - I believe they only put the diamond hull on this year VLX.  This is the same hull that is on my Sunsetter and this would outski the 17 VTX all day and still have the room you are looking for.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/736807407893003

Edited by Ski_Dad

Thanks All. Would ideally someday love to have a fun boat (pontoon) and a dedicated ski boat but won’t have the space for a while. I think it’s best to demo as suggested, even try to ski behind the 2017. This one is being sold my a marina close by. And also maybe look for a good 2015 or even older like Ronnie61 found. Gets a little challenging to demo a boat when many of them are 6-7 hr drive and private sellers.  I’d probably buy that 15 but it’s 8 hours and private sale. I can actually see  this 2017 I’m asking about. Has a 1 year warranty too.   Wonder how they will react if I ask them to take me for a ski but I guess people do that even on used boats. 

• Baller_

@LL778 - as noted above, if they balk at a test ride, pass on it.  Every boat I have looked at (for me or friends) all came with a ride.  You note its a marina so finding water should not be very difficult & you can bring the equipment.  Given you are on this site therefore a slalom enthusiast, unless you plan on turning the boat in short order, I would shop carefully and lean towards a more slalom specific hull.  The VTX is a great boat, it's just not targeted for slalom. 

• Baller
On 4/22/2023 at 8:18 AM, Ski_Dad said:

I ski boats all the time with a lot more that 500 hours, my 2003 Malibu included.  

This 2001 Sunsetter VLX is a unicorn v drive - I believe they only put the diamond hull on this year VLX.  This is the same hull that is on my Sunsetter and this would outski the 17 VTX all day and still have the room you are looking for.  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/736807407893003

2001 was the first year they offerred diamond hull on a Vdrive, but they did so the ensuing years of that era SV23, just got called the sunscape, which remained in the line until 2004 when it got longer and phatter.  You can even find 02-04 wakesetters with the diamond hull.  

As for comparing that hull to a VTX, they're very similar.  I had a 13 (VTX) and as I recall, an 18 (maybe a 17).  The big difference in my experience was that the Vdrive ratios changed, and Malibu was running the same reduction in the "newer" VTX as they did in the bigger boats.  That resulted in extraordinary RPMs, and with a big prop, it was churning a LOT of water.  IT wasn't so much that the wake was bad but the propwash was significant.  I had a slalom tug also at the time so I never did switch props but I recall several people on the Malibu Crew doing so with good results.  Try searching for a guy on the Malibu Crew named "ahopkins (something)" who is an admin and has a VTX of that era.  

As to comparing the 2001 sunsetter VLX to a VTX, if you'll be doing anything other than skiing, get the VTX, hands down.  

• Thanks 1

I actually bought a 2017 VTX last August.  Coming from a Nautique 206 (open-bow direct drive).  Slalom wakes at low speeds (less than 30mph) and long line ( longer than 22-15off) is a bit rough.  I ski mostly open water, 34mph and 28-32 off.  If you get in front of the rooster tail it is almost as good with a little water in the bow tank, light fuel load, and leaving the crew at the dock.    Also, center pole tow point helps with drivability but the rope will run into tower from time to time at the apex of the turn.  Being in the open water and not in a course this hasn't really been a big deal for me and I don't really notice it.  Biggest difference for me was the hole shot when getting up.  Much longer pull in the VTX, only had the boat in the water for a few weeks last fall so more experience and tweaks may improve performance.  I skied behind ours before buying so I knew what I was getting.  I would highly recommend that if at all possible.

Is the wake as good as a direct drive, absolutely not.  Can a lot of fun be had, absolutely.  Its a good compromise for us as we have kids who like to surf and board and has a lot more freeboard for cruising on bigger water on a busy afternoon.  All of these result in more time on the water which is what we were after. 

• Like 1