Lapoint LP2 - One ride review

Horton

• Administrators

Reviewing a ski after only one ride is a bad idea for many reasons but if I can only get one ride on one of the most interesting skis in the sport I will take it.

After an unusually cold and rainy winter in California, I have not skied much yet this year. Only a week ago did I start going off the dock at 32 and running 35 with confidence. On the LP1 LP2, I went off the dock at 32. As expected the first pass was not perfect but for a first pass on a new ski it was better than average. The ride got better from there. I ran four 32s and then shortened to 35. I fell at 6 ball on the second 35 but only because I was super early and was screwing around a little exploring where I could stand on the ski.   

The LaPoint LP1 LP2 is simply easy to ride. It is both fast and stable. It runs an early line and then turns as hard as you want it to. Rarely are skis both high-performance and unquirky. My one ride impression is that this ski is VERY good.

I might have to think about how to embezzle some money and get one without my wife knowing it. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Is there an LP2? I am not sure but I think there is just the one ski. I know the ski has evolved in the last year but am unaware of a new model name. 

The ski I rode had a LP1 logo and the the website talks about LP1. https://lapointskis.com/waterskis

• Baller_

The new version has a narrower sidewall profile in the front of the ski. I don’t know if one is regarded as “better” than the other. @liquid d has tried them both and he prefers the LP1. 

Edited by lpskier

Lpskier

• Administrators

CORRECTION: apparently the ski I rode was in fact the LP2.

Compared to the LP1, the LP2 has a thinner sidewall profile, refined flex pattern as well as modified fin allowing for a different wing position.

• Baller_
3 hours ago, Horton said:

CORRECTION: apparently the ski I rode was in fact the LP2.

Compared to the LP1, the LP2 has a thinner sidewall profile, refined flex pattern as well as modified fin allowing for a different wing position.

Just FYI for clarity, your post title says LP2 but your review text still says LP1.

• Baller

My LaPoint LP1 was built for me by Kris once he got all the relevant information from me. Weight, ski speed, binding type and brand, line length etc. 

very impressive ski. It simply works forecasters intended. 

• Like 1