2008 Nautique 216 vs 2014 Response TXi

tlarocque

• Baller

Okay, sold my 1997 SN closed bow to get a little more space and versatility.  I'm just a recreational skier, no course near my lake,  and kids do like to board/surf a little but only at novice levels.  We have friends up and do some lake cruising, swim off the boat, etc.  I was thinking of trying a Malibu VTX but 1) they are expensive and a little hard to find (2012-2015 for best wakes and ability to have surf systems) 2) I'm afraid I'll be disappointed coming from direct drive boats.  

I have a chance to buy back my old 2008 216 which I sold around 8 years ago.  It was a nice boat with a PCM 343 and Zero Off plus the tower/stereo that the kids like.  I don't remember the ski wake very well but don't recall it being bad for my purposes.  Probably wouldn't have to pay much in taxes on the deal since its a friend.

I'm also intrigued by a 2014 TXi that I have found.  Boat looks squeaky clean, low hours, newer and a little more space than the 216.  But the boat is 20k more plus taxes (dealership).

Is it worth spending 25k more for the Malibu?  

There is also a 2014 SNOB priced similarly to the TXi, a little over 50k, but as nice as it is, that boat is not all that versatile.  Sport Nautique 200 also looks nice but it doesn't really get you the ability to surf, only more space for friends.

Any thoughts or other boats to consider?

• Baller

TXI will have a better slalom wake, and as you said, with wedge, is pretty versatile.  But it's a tournament inboard.  It's not a good boat to have kids bringing friends, not a great surf boat.  VTX will be a MUCH better boat for your needs, even though they're harder to find.

Unless you don't mind an older boat and doing a little bit of work keeping it fresh and minty.  In that case, you can't beat the Malibu Sunsetter LXi, but these boats are 20 years old now...  Really sucks nobody ever made a DD boat that versatile since then.

• Like 3

• Baller

Between the 216 and TXi you're looking at two completely different types of boats.  I've had a couple of TXi's and for skiing the thing was a dream, but even with putting a sack in it the wake for boarding and surfing sucked.

If want a true crossover I'd stay away from a TXi, 200 or PS.

Something to be said for buying a boat whose history you know so your old 216 sounds like a great option.  Ultimately, you need to figure out if you want a crossover or a true ski machine.

• Like 1